Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Lift or Launch

Lift or Launch

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Lift or Launch

Launch
43%
Lift
57%

Total votes : 21

Post August 30th, 2005, 3:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,029.00 Points

Well this is one. Right so what do you think is the best ride beginner. A launch or a lift?

Post August 30th, 2005, 3:16 pm

Lets see a lift gives the build up to the ride and adds to fear. Like the Pepsi Max Big One Blackpool.

Then the launch just gets on with the ride straight away. This does lead to a rubbish first drop half the time! The exception is the Irn Bru Revolution Blackpool!

Post August 30th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,235.00 Points

I like the lift because it builds up tension n gives u different fellings like excitment sumtimes fear but the launch ones like 'Rita' at alton towers is an amazing for adrenaline rushes n stuff

Post August 30th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
i gotta agree with this dude hes right about the launch its just 100% adrenaline!!!!!!!!!!!

i do prefer it

Post August 30th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Whats with you and Blackpool Pleasure Beach? Seriously?

Launch is better, lift hills are boring for me now and adds nothing but a 2 min crawl to the top of the hill

Post August 30th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
yea i agree wuith edge now that im so used to coasters i dont build up fear and crap im like are we there yet. while the people in front of me are like crying LOL

Post August 30th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Launch definitely. Hydraulic lauches are my favorite for the really fast boost in speed. LIMs and LSMs are good too.

Post August 30th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Points on hand: 2,074.00 Points

Post August 30th, 2005, 7:08 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I've seen this poll before, probably from someone out of the past. A whole discussion about launch or lift. Both have their fun sides.
Launch with bring you imediatly into action while the lift brings up the adrenaline slowly because: what looked tame from the side, might be a monster onride! [:D]

Post August 31st, 2005, 5:21 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Post August 31st, 2005, 6:06 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
lift, nice view of the park, 1st drop instead of 1st element,

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:12 am

Put it this way. going up a lift hill pretty boring now but the drop and the long ride after it is gonna make up 4 it. Take EGF for example people hate the lift on this ride because it crushes the thighs but the drop and rest of the ride are out of this world. But now take an accelerator coaster like RITA for example the launch is fantastic but is over quite shortly after, even tho the 28 secons of the ride is all g-force and adrenaline the launch and lift are both good for me.

The Hulk at IOA interprated both of these and what a ride that is :D

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:24 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by english coaster guy

Put it this way. going up a lift hill pretty boring now but the drop and the long ride after it is gonna make up 4 it. Take EGF for example people hate the lift on this ride because it crushes the thighs but the drop and rest of the ride are out of this world. But now take an accelerator coaster like RITA for example the launch is fantastic but is over quite shortly after, even tho the 28 secons of the ride is all g-force and adrenaline the launch and lift are both good for me.

EGF's lift crushes the thighs? Howso?

And about your launch vs. lift "theory", thats only based on what most coasters do, not what they CAN do. Getting launched to 55 mph or getting pulled up a lift hill until the coaster drops to 55 mph will allow the exact same ride lengths.

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:30 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Lift AND launch [;)], this particular idea is used on Calfifornia Screamin', theres nothing to stop it being used on a decent ride as well [lol]. You could start off with a powerful launch, so you would have all the thrill of a great rocket coaster, go round a small rocket coaster sized bit of layout, then onto a big lift hill and into a whole different section of the ride, almost like two rides stuck together. I think that would be amazing ...... just damn expensive [lol]

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:38 am

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

EGF's lift crushes the thighs? Howso?And about your launch vs. lift "theory", thats only based on what most coasters do, not what they CAN do. Getting launched to 55 mph or getting pulled up a lift hill until the coaster drops to 55 mph will allow the exact same ride lengths.

i heard it in a forumon the site lol. some people do have different pelvis structures i suppose[8D]

Post August 31st, 2005, 10:37 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I like launches because its more of an adrenaline rush and a launch is unexpected. Although there's nothing wrong with a lift, I like the "when are we going to go?" feeling, not "why aren't we and the top yet". As for rubbish first drops, there are many launched coasters that have great ones, Storm Runner and The Incredible Hulk to name a couple.

Post August 31st, 2005, 12:44 pm

Hey what about a ride that has a lift and a launch. Like Space Mountain Mission 2 Paris?

Post August 31st, 2005, 1:01 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Put it this way. going up a lift hill pretty boring now but the drop and the long ride after it is gonna make up 4 it. Take EGF for example people hate the lift on this ride because it crushes the thighs but the drop and rest of the ride are out of this world.

Don't lie![:o)] Lift hills are pretty awesome cause you get a nice view and sometimes you'll see that you are going higher and higher so you get more scared, Also lifts doesn't have to be slow! Take EGF, goliath or millenium force for example, all quick lifts! Also why is it that bad to have a lift that takes so long? It gives you already time to freak out about the ride. Typhoons vertical lift is about 40 sec long (according to my video stuff i shot). That being vertically climbed is already a such wierd experience, and then it also takes very long just to climb that lift! They even have a spot on the lift(almost on the top), where it slows down for if there was high capicity train riding so 2 trains can be lifted on the lift. I'd even have whitnessed that it had 2 trains on a lift! Looks wierd!
So what i'd mean, lift always have some good points to the ride.

Hey what about a ride that has a lift and a launch. Like Space Mountain Mission 2 Paris?

It's just a chain lift only when it "Launches" you, you just get pulled quickly up(6-7mph?), so it's just a lift hill.

Post August 31st, 2005, 1:38 pm

Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

Put it this way. going up a lift hill pretty boring now but the drop and the long ride after it is gonna make up 4 it. Take EGF for example people hate the lift on this ride because it crushes the thighs but the drop and rest of the ride are out of this world.

Don't lie![:o)] Lift hills are pretty awesome cause you get a nice view and sometimes you'll see that you are going higher and higher so you get more scared, Also lifts doesn't have to be slow! Take EGF, goliath or millenium force for example, all quick lifts! Also why is it that bad to have a lift that takes so long? It gives you already time to freak out about the ride. Typhoons vertical lift is about 40 sec long (according to my video stuff i shot). That being vertically climbed is already a such wierd experience, and then it also takes very long just to climb that lift! They even have a spot on the lift(almost on the top), where it slows down for if there was high capicity train riding so 2 trains can be lifted on the lift. I'd even have whitnessed that it had 2 trains on a lift! Looks wierd!
So what i'd mean, lift always have some good points to the ride.

It's just a chain lift only when it "Launches" you, you just get pulled quickly up(6-7mph?), so it's just a lift hill.

Well its an electric cable launch which gives a speeed of around 56 m.p.h. There is a chain half way through the ride which is around 6-7 mph

Post August 31st, 2005, 1:59 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by coasterboaster

Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen
*lot of quotes!*

Well its an electric cable launch which gives a speeed of around 56 m.p.h. There is a chain half way through the ride which is around 6-7 mph

http://www.rcdb.com/id959.htm

Don't lie again!
it says max speed 44mph...

Also you think that's a real launch as first, no way! Maybe a small boost of 10mph then, but defenatly NO WAY of faster then that. Also when i rode it when it was mission 1. I saw in the front seat that it was a chain that "launched" us... At least it was very identical to a chain, maybe a chain/cable lift, a piece of chain connected to a cable... same used on the intamin water ride in gardaland...

Post August 31st, 2005, 2:17 pm

Sorry I get what you are talking about now. You mean on mission 1 when you went down the drop then stopped and moved into launch position!

Well I am on about where the moon used to be that smiled and then went away! I forgot about that block brake before launch. On Mission 2 you go down the drop and launch straight away!

Post September 2nd, 2005, 4:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,072.00 Points
Originally posted by IntaminFan397

Launch for steel, and lift for wood.

I 100% Agree![:D]

Post September 4th, 2005, 10:03 am

Yeah same here although I have never been on a launching wooden coaster so I don't know what it WOOD be like. Maybe because there are none that exist!

Post September 4th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
I voted for launch, if TTD was lift based, it would kind of suck. Some may argue that the lift gives "suspense" (or some bs like that) but the wait before the launch is much better, plus lifts are more like just 2 mins of utter boredom. (arg, magnum's lift is the worst)

Post September 4th, 2005, 2:49 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by coasteragent99

I voted for launch, if TTD was lift based, it would kind of suck. Some may argue that the lift gives "suspense" (or some bs like that) but the wait before the launch is much better, plus lifts are more like just 2 mins of utter boredom. (arg, magnum's lift is the worst)

ttd with a lift would be prettly lame indeed, but how would rita look like with a lift?

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions