Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion [UK] Mild Storms?

[UK] Mild Storms?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post August 31st, 2005, 4:06 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Seriously, these storms are intense over here. The house is generaly shaking to the ground. The doors and windows are shaking and i'm going blind by flashes ever 2 seconds? OThers in the UK getting this?

Post August 31st, 2005, 4:20 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Image Insert:
18 KB

Looks like there's a nasty storm over northeast Scotland... and a sharp pressure gradient on the front line over England. Then, there is another flare of thunderstorms north of Birmingham. That should explain it.

Post August 31st, 2005, 4:23 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Yeah, it was here this afternoon, I was getting excited because we haven't had a proper storm round here for a while, but it was just a pretty crazy downpour for about 10 minutes and a few rumbles, then it was over, I was well disappointed [V]

on that map, the orange is no where near birmingham, its over the manchester area, possibly Liverpool. I'm right near Birmingham and I can tell you there is nothing much happening here right now.

Post August 31st, 2005, 4:27 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

sounds like JPE is getting it. Down here in SoCal the sky is blue, and not a cloud in site! Maybe just some smog.[lol]

Post August 31st, 2005, 4:55 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
As far as serious weather goes, there is also a category 4 typhoon heading for Taiwan and China.

Post August 31st, 2005, 6:25 pm

We had the power blown out over here several times, it was pretty scary at some points. It was so loud and bright it physicaly hurt at some points, not to mention running out into garage to turn lights back on only to get back out of the garage see a huge flash and lights back off. It felt like i was going to get hit at any second [lol] Good fun, i hope another rolls over tonight

Post August 31st, 2005, 6:27 pm

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:16 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:21 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
oh look its the north west again and thnks for blowing the power out u fat bastrad storm i was cooking dinner on my ELECTRIC cooker and i was goin to watch tv but no the ELECTRIC went out. and you also nearly killed my dad with you big ELECTRIC forces called lightning. well done you have ruined my day u BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! another eason why i want to emigrate

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:37 pm

Well, the US is not the best. Lets see here, we have hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, flash floods, ice storms, need I go on? But then again, we also have more coasters than any other place on the planet.

Post August 31st, 2005, 7:44 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Well, everywhere has it's own share of problems, but if you do move here, go and live in Western PA like me. We never have any real natural diasters (every 10 years a bad snow storm and a couple bad storms)like hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornadoes. Livning on top a hill never hurts cause you can't get flooded. And after all that you have Kennywood!!

Post August 31st, 2005, 8:07 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I personally think Edge just doesnt like storms. It seems like every time a squall hits their house hes freakin out :P

That Sat image doesnt look bad at all, however other things influence the intensity of a storm.

I wish I had some shots from storms weve had this past summer. A few of them were incredibly intense from all angles - even a little hail at one point.

Post September 1st, 2005, 6:07 am

[lol] Well actualy when i was a young child i was caught out in the middle of a huge thunderstorm whilst fishing, lightning was literaly striking the ground in the feild around us, and the noise literaly shoock you to the bone. If anyone has been that close to lightning, it sounds nothing like you usualy hear. It more of a deafening crackle. I can honestly say i was terrified and thought i would probaly die having to carry a tall rob bag back across the trees being the tallest object in the feild and all. So yeah, i do freak out now...but i still love to watch them [lol]

Post September 1st, 2005, 6:26 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Hmm im glad im alive this morning, LOL. It seems that huge orange blob on the east side of Scotland travelled all the way down the East of England, and went right over Humberside and over Lincolnshire and then was over my house for a couple of hours. It sounded like a few places got hit, but im not sure, last time there was a storm i was outside on some tennis courts and a house up the road got hit. LOL. It does sound like what Edge said. The whole of the tennis courts shook. That was scary, but so was this. Ive got some video of it, ididnt get the video of the worst bit, as that was just suddenly there, and i couldnt find my video camera as the power just kept cutting out every now and then. I might get to upload a little bit of it though. I got the calmer bit afterwards.

Edge it seems we got the same part of the storm. YAY. LOL. [lol]

Post September 1st, 2005, 10:19 am
cjd

Last year, whilst driving in Western PA, A lightning bolt struck a small tree that was about 20 ft from my car. It was deafning, yet very fun to see the wood disintegrate and fly to pieces.

Then, once the storm was over, I went back to the tree where the lightning struck to see what it had really done. There was a deep burned slash that went from the tree's top to bottom. Then, when I dug into the ground next to it, there was actually a hollow tube of glass. The lightning was so hot that it melted the sand and dirt into a hollow glass tube. It was really cool.

Post September 1st, 2005, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Lightning can do amazing things we cant even begin to understand, its so cool.

Edge - I have been close enough to hear that crackle, its really a disturbing feeling because you know that it was pretty close.

cjd - that was quick thinking to go back and check out that hit. Not sure I would have thought to do that :P

Post September 1st, 2005, 10:41 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Woodie Man

Well, the US is not the best. Lets see here, we have hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, flash floods, ice storms, need I go on? But then again, we also have more coasters than any other place on the planet.

We had a tornado in Birmingham a few weeks ago that destroyed a few houses, ripped of a few rooves, pulled trees up, that kind of thing, so you know we have extreme weather too. But the problem with the weather here is that its always crap, but for different reasons, its either too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, its never just right [lol] but we've got the most coasters per square mile, so thats kinda good.

Post September 1st, 2005, 10:41 am
cjd

^I'm potentially pursuing meteorology, so I was anxious to go investigate.

Post September 1st, 2005, 11:50 am

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by Woodie Man

We had a tornado in Birmingham a few weeks ago that destroyed a few houses, ripped of a few rooves, pulled trees up, that kind of thing, so you know we have extreme weather too. But the problem with the weather here is that its always crap, but for different reasons, its either too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, its never just right [lol] but we've got the most coasters per square mile, so thats kinda good.

But most of them are just lumps of crap. [lol]

Post September 1st, 2005, 12:46 pm

Japan has the most coasters per mile to rain on your parade, then UK.

Also i remember seeing a Tornado once near my school when i was about 10, everyone was terrified and crying [lol] It never touched the ground. Also there was that Hurricane back in 1988 that hit the south coast, where i used to live. I was on holiday in UK at the time though

Post September 1st, 2005, 1:48 pm
cjd

Now, let's see... you guys get a tornado or weakened hurricane hit every so often. Over here in America, we have gotten over 250 tornadoes and 7 direct hurricane hits in the last year alone. And that's not to mention the numerous fires out west, the sweltering heat this past summer, and the howling blizzard that smothered the Northeast 8 months ago.

In summary... you guys have it made up there in merry olde England. The weather here has been insane over the last year.

Post September 1st, 2005, 1:51 pm

Points on hand: 2,242.00 Points
I Live In Newcastle and we had an hour of lightning and a 2 or 3 hour power cut. We Were So Bored We Ended Up Playing Trivial Pursuit

Post September 1st, 2005, 2:01 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Edge

Japan has the most coasters per mile to rain on your parade, then UK.

It must be the most coasters per person then, I knew it was one of them, I've seen it on the back of an easter egg box [lol]

Post September 1st, 2005, 2:08 pm

Originally posted by cjd

Now, let's see... you guys get a tornado or weakened hurricane hit every so often. Over here in America, we have gotten over 250 tornadoes and 7 direct hurricane hits in the last year alone. And that's not to mention the numerous fires out west, the sweltering heat this past summer, and the howling blizzard that smothered the Northeast 8 months ago.

In summary... you guys have it made up there in merry olde England. The weather here has been insane over the last year.

Yeah we know your weather is alot worse than ours. Hurricane Katrina was incredible, i just watched this amateur video by someone, videoed from inside a hotel and its astounding at how powerful both the wind and water are. [:O] Im glad i live in England at this moment in time. The weather doesnt falter very often here, its just really cold, and quite rainy. [:(]But i prefer that to 160mph+ winds.

Return to Off Topic Discussion