Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion Really soft looking 3DS..

Really soft looking 3DS..

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post May 27th, 2012, 12:10 am

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
I'm a beginner at making 3ds, and this may and probably has an obvious answer.

Okay, so anyways, I've noticed my objects I've imported have been very soft looking, as if they have no edge, if you know what I mean. They don't look realistic.

These were meant for no real project, I just practiced making stuff and then put it into NL to see how it looked.

Some really crappy LSM's.

Random lamp I made.

Do you see what I mean by them looking soft?

Here is my material dialog box. (I use Wings3D)
This is no material I've used, it's just the default white, but could any of the sliders help?

Thanks for reading this far. Can you help?

Post May 27th, 2012, 1:11 am

Points on hand: 1,369.00 Points
interestingly enough i always have trouble GETTING my 3ds smooth...
as for the sliders, i think the diffuse bit is causing your smoothness, though trial-and-error would be the most accurate option. you might also want to increase the shininess a bit more than cloth but less than car paint if you know what i mean.

Post May 27th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
Those LSMs would be better were they realistically sized to the track (in other words, about 7.2 times smaller.

Post May 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
Haha, your kidding.

And richie, I'll try it. It seems to not be an issue if the textures are uv mapped (which leads me to believe that the issue lies within my material settings), but I don't want to uv map if I don't have to. If I'm just making say, LSM's, I would rather just use a material.

I also have Blender, which I could import any given object into, but from my experience objects don't import well into NL from there, which is why I am using Wings.

Post June 1st, 2012, 5:36 am

Points on hand: 1,125.00 Points
The problem is that Wings3D exports its .3ds with Smooth Shading, no matter how many times you disable it. What I'm doing though is I disconnect all the edges connecting the faces I don't want to have any smooth shading. This is almost as little of work as applying smooth shading to the surfaces you'd actually want to have smooth shading, so I say stick with Wings.

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion