Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Rita Breaks Girls Arm?

Rita Breaks Girls Arm?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post June 14th, 2005, 6:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 088060.stm

This is pure BS! It takes 14lb of pressure per square inch to break a bone and unless this girl was unhealthly fat, i cant see any way in which it could have broken her arm. No doubt another money grabbing whore parent trying to sue Alton Towers...i'm not in a good mood tonight

Post June 14th, 2005, 6:40 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

Total BS. If they were broken, she would know the difference. They were prolly sprained and then during that week before the x-rays, she did something stupid that broke them. They probably arent broken either, most likely just fractured.

Post June 14th, 2005, 6:58 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
If they were damaged in any way it's because of something stupid she did. I never heard of anyone injuring themselves on any other rocket coaster. I bet she had her hands sprained before and like Edge said, the mother set it up or something to get the cash.

Post June 14th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Points on hand: 69.00 Points
WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING HURT ON ROLLER COASTERS ALL OF A SUDDEN. And this incident is just PLAIN BS!! I bet her mom broke her rists on perpose to get money [lol], J/K, I dont know, it sound real fishy to me, a 60mph roller coaster breaking someones wrists isnt possible to me. Try Kingda ka or TTD, know thats possible if someone did something stupid on it.

Post June 14th, 2005, 8:59 pm
rob User avatar

Points on hand: 3,083.00 Points
It says the X-Rays weren't even taken until a week later...something could have happend between the ride and the X-Rays to make the situation worse..I don't by this at all

Post June 15th, 2005, 4:01 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
This was psoted on the mailing list fro ECC
Its quite possible that this girl did break her wrists on the ride, but the
reasoning behind the injury is of course impossible to discover. Its quite
normal for fractured wrists to go unnoticed for a good length of time. Its
common place for wrists not to swell or cause unbarable pain when a simple
fracture occurs. Its a curse amongst Ambulance staff and First Aiders alike,
its often hard to immediatly diagnose a wrist fracture....an x-ray is of
course the unlimate answer.

Post June 15th, 2005, 7:27 am

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Another interesting point is why the news is only just picking up on the story now, as the inncident happened a while ago.

It is possible that girl was holding onto the restraint handles in an unsuitable way, causing a twisting movement when being launched but the whole incident is very strange.

Post June 15th, 2005, 8:16 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

This is why I kept my mouth shut after my accident at Holiday World... the press are a bunch of desparate morons when it comes to amusement park "accidents". I did what every good enthusiast should do... keep my mouth shut, and pretend it didn't happen.

Post June 15th, 2005, 8:25 am

Points on hand: 69.00 Points
lucky they didnt get a law suit or anything, that would have been real bad.

Post June 15th, 2005, 8:27 am

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
Originally posted by shortkid422

Total BS. If they were broken, she would know the difference. They were prolly sprained and then during that week before the x-rays, she did something stupid that broke them. They probably arent broken either, most likely just fractured.

Just to point out fractures are worse than breaks they are harder to repair!. because they can't be set like breaks!

Post June 15th, 2005, 8:36 am

Just so everyone knows a fracture is a broken arm, they are the same thing [;)] A fact i learnt of the discovery channel last week lol. There is just different kinds of breaks, from hairline fractures to compound fractures

Post June 15th, 2005, 8:53 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
the only thing wrong with that girl is her mind....
how on earht can someone break an arm while riding a coaster.....
i bet smaller kids have ridding KK, wich has more acceleration, and didn't break their arms
however there is a possibility that she has something called "glass bones", you're bones break very easely when having that 'disease', but still, it was on her own risk going to ride rita

Post June 15th, 2005, 9:19 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Originally posted by XtremeCoaster1546

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING HURT ON ROLLER COASTERS ALL OF A SUDDEN.

My guess is that there have always been many minor to moderate injuries on coasters, but the media has never reported them until now.

Post June 15th, 2005, 9:25 am

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

Originally posted by The Edge

Just so everyone knows a fracture is a broken arm, they are the same thing [;)] A fact i learnt of the discovery channel last week lol. There is just different kinds of breaks, from hairline fractures to compound fractures

Yeah, the fracture that I was thinking of was a hairline, and yes, if it is a fracture, it is broken.

Post June 15th, 2005, 10:04 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I reckon her and her mom wanted a bit of media attention, so they fractured both of her arms, shoved her on Rita and then said that the ride did it, it wouldn't surprise me. I'm just trying to think how it would actually be possible for Rita to do that to someones arms, I think it could be possible, but you'd have to be trying to do it I think ... at the exact moment of the launch, you'd have to let all your muscles go limp and let your arms fly back as hard as possible and snap back over the top of the seat or something ... hmmm probably not, I just thought of that because if the launch catches you off gaurd, then its quite hard to bring your arms forward again. It caught my mate off gaurd and it pinned his arms to the top of the seat til the end of the launch, the onride photo was funny, you can just see his arms behind his head [lol]

Post June 15th, 2005, 11:17 am

Points on hand: 1,751.00 Points
well it says the force was so strong it peeled her hands off the guard rails and bent her wrists back.............

edit:it says they want to make the hieght requirment higher.

WEAKLING!!!!!!!

Post June 15th, 2005, 11:34 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post June 15th, 2005, 11:38 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

what was she doing holding onto the "gaurd rails" (by that I guess they mean reastraints), you should have your hands way up in the air!! [lol]

Post June 15th, 2005, 11:51 am

Points on hand: 1,751.00 Points
i guess the retards that wrote the freakin article dont know anything about roller coasters

Post June 15th, 2005, 12:37 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Hmm why would height restrictions help broken wrists??? because younger children couldnt ride. Its stupid stories like this that wreck it for everyone else!

Post June 16th, 2005, 12:12 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
They better not try to say that your arms can be hurt from the launch force - because thats bs too. I love when people say "Oh man! dont hold your hands up when TTD launches - itll pop your arms out of socket" and then I go front seat and throw hands up a second before it launches with no, I mean no ill effects. I have only ever ridden hands down and that was the very first ride on opening day when they wouldnt launch without all arms down. Ever since then, hands up.

RITA's launch isnt nearly as intense so I highly doubt the ride caused it unless she did something absolutly stupid.

On the legal side. It seems like parents are targeting the amusement parks as of late as their latest legal targets for a few quick bucks.

Post June 16th, 2005, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Yeah, if people can get launched on Dodonpa with their arms up, surely they can on any other launched ride.

Post June 16th, 2005, 2:21 am

Points on hand: 3,903.00 Points

if she was holding onto the rail and the back of the seat in front then wouldn't it pull her hands forward and not back because the train is going forward and she is holding onto that[launch]

Post June 16th, 2005, 2:28 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

If she was holding onto the bar on the seat infront of her the seat would be stationary and it wouldn't be any different than holding on the restraints. If you mean she was holding onto the bars on the car infront of her, that would be almost impossible to do so, unless she has extremely long arms.

Post June 16th, 2005, 5:32 am

RITA's launch isnt nearly as intense so I highly doubt the ride caused it unless she did something absolutly stupid.

TTD 0-120mph in 4 seconds
Rita 0-62mph in 2.1 seconds

Bearing in mind both accelerating rides are done near enough in the first second on so, i would say that the acceleration forces would be pretty much the same. TTD would i probaly have a marginly higher acceleration and for a greater duration of time

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions