Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Scariest rollercoaster

Scariest rollercoaster

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post July 5th, 2005, 11:52 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

What's the scariest rollercoaster you've ridden? for some it might be one with lot's of inversions, for others it might be launched coasters....etc. etc. so anyways, what coasters scares you the most.... and why?
for me it's a little portable rollercoaster they erect every year at the san diego county fair. it's defineately not the tallest, and not super fast, but i go out of my way to ride it every year, and when i can convince someone to go with me they always get off the thing looking pale. the thing that makes this coaster scary is that it's turns are about 10 feet max in diameter , and it whips around them, and into sharp dives,... to top it off it's not built permanent. it's really flimsy looking, and was erected in about 8 hours by a bunch of guys who look like escaped convicts. the same guys operate the ride, and they'll crank up the speed of the lift for you if you ask...that way the thing's whipping around the first turn into the hill... i always get off this thing feeling lucky to be in one piece, but i go back every year. defineately not my favorite, but defineately the scariest imo

Post July 6th, 2005, 12:22 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

The scariest ride for me has to have been Top Thrill Dragster just because it's gigantic and I hadn't been on a launched coaster before it. Sitting there waiting for the launch is the only time I've ever felt scared on a coaster since I was a little kid, even though I knew there was really nothing that could go wrong.

Post July 6th, 2005, 1:47 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post July 6th, 2005, 3:52 am

Points on hand: 3,142.00 Points
Scary coasters? I think Oblivion at Alton Towers may be a contender, The holding brake and that dreadful wait for the near vertical plummet into the hole far below, down into the ground always makes my skin creep, and I'm 36! Alton Towers get complaints during the summer from its local neigbours from the screams of terror emitting from Oblivion, (as it stands they werent even allowed to construct it above tree height which it would have made it more intense), so I guess yeeeeeah there is a scare factor on some rides -as well as the fun factor!!- [approve]

Post July 6th, 2005, 7:04 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
let's see coasters aren't scary but i had only once one scary/funny moment.

Expedition GeForce in the Totally backseat. When i went down i'd suddenly i'd got thrown out of the car and thrown to the side by laterals, it really made me scary for just that 1 sec it happned. The first time i hold on a restraint on a ride [lol] But the next rounds in the back i was aware of it and i enjoyed the drop more! [:D] Scary but great experience! [:D]

Post July 6th, 2005, 2:46 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by hyyyper

none, coasters are fun, not scary
... i agree whole heartedly... but most people would change their mind if they saw this ride, it's even scarier if you take a walk around it first.. one can see the really shoddy construction of it, the missing bolts and modified parts that hold it up. in places where the ground is uneven there's like peices of two by fours under it, and everytime the train comes around the whole thing shifts around.... there's also the tinge of fear as the guy who takes your tickets smiles a crooked smile at you with missing teeth and the faint odor of cheap alchohol on his breath. it used to be scarier but then they started random drug testing at the fair... bummer, not as scary anymore, but it's the only one that actually scares me somewhat...

Post July 6th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Coney Island Cyclone ... very rickety -- each pass makes you wonder how much time is has left.

Post July 6th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see i think Georgia Scocher cause it was my first stand-up coaster and the realy scary part was that plastic knob that sticks out to support your ummmm thingy there really hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post July 6th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Colossus at SFMM. it is so rough it seems that the train is going to fall off the track, and if they got two trains running it is even worse b/c i dont trust SF, and it seems like the train is going to roll back every time it comes to a hill, and then the ride ops will dispatch the other train that will crash into the back of you. VERY scary ride for anyone of all ages.

also, any accelerated coaster for the first time is scary.

Post July 6th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

hm...i might have been nervous about riding things that's i've never ridden (like when i went to cedar point i wasn't sure about my first ride on magnum cuz it was my first hyper coaster or mr. freeze in st. louis, first launch) but i'd say a truly scary ride is acrophobia in sfog...i'm not scared of it, but it's sorta freaky with that little thing ur stratling and then u go up and it tilts you forward, i swear they wax the seats to make you feel like your gonna fall, and then it stops very fast before it hits the ground so...i love the ride, but most ppl are scared to death of it. (my sister will never ride it again and my friend almost cried)

Post July 6th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by RRollergod

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see i think Georgia Scocher cause it was my first stand-up coaster and the realy scary part was that plastic knob that sticks out to support your ummmm thingy there really hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What? First off it is almost the same as a bicycle seat and when you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF THE RIDE OP and do not stand straight up or sit all the way down before locking in place it does not bother you -- but nevertheless that ride is a pansy-ride. 50 mph and blah blah blah ... man, you must REALLY be a wuss. [lol]

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,540.00 Points

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:17 pm

OMG, the georgia scorcher is not a pansy ride!!! it's the most intense stand-up i've ridden!!! one of the most intense in the whole park!!! it beasts mantis in cedar point!!!

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:44 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by ragan

Colossus at SFMM. it is so rough it seems that the train is going to fall off the track, and if they got two trains running it is even worse b/c i dont trust SF, and it seems like the train is going to roll back every time it comes to a hill, and then the ride ops will dispatch the other train that will crash into the back of you. VERY scary ride for anyone of all ages.

also, any accelerated coaster for the first time is scary.
i think Y'all have been spoon fed too much B and M, but you've hit on a serious point... those P.O.S. morgan trains suck, and they run the ride over the lift so slow that it does feel like it wont make it back up... BUT i remember that ride new, and it had nice ptc trains (with head rests?) that didn't bounce around that much and they seemed to have more momentum... ironicaly the ride barely used to hit 55, now , with the morgan trains, they say it goes over 60. in any case I LOVE COLOSSUS, it's one of my favorite items in this whole world. backwards was the best too. i think they started doing that again for halloween.. but it's solid as a rock.. funny how what made it suck for me also makes it scarier in a way for some people.. i have freinds who say the same thing..

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:48 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
i think the X-Flight @ sf worlds of adventure in Ohio. i felt like i was gonna fall out 4 sher!

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
X is just always scary, lol. ive got about 15-20 rides on it, still scares the $H!T outa me on the drop.

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:58 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

Originally posted by RRollergod

What? First off it is almost the same as a bicycle seat and when you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF THE RIDE OP and do not stand straight up or sit all the way down before locking in place it does not bother you -- but nevertheless that ride is a pansy-ride. 50 mph and blah blah blah ... man, you must REALLY be a wuss. [lol]

[lol] That's funny, your funny.
Yeah so anyways, the only rides I've been afraid of (at first) were Montezooma's revenge when I went on that thing when I was like 5 or 6 and Supreme Screme. I'm deathly afraid of hights! [lol] But thats what makes tall rides fun.

Post July 6th, 2005, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 2,487.00 Points

X flight, the first time is the scariest bunch of poop ever, if feels like you'll fall out but the second time is awsome lol

Post July 6th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 5,694.00 Points
"first launched ride"
Hell no. My first launched ride was the Incredible Hulk. It's not even remotely scary. I mean, come on, it's B&M. Oh no, the spinning doughnuts of doom! I'm real scared! xD I also did that 400 ft tall thingy in Old Town, and the launch felt exactly the same to me. I'll have to report my first ride on Kingda Ka (if it's running) to you all. [approve]

Post July 6th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
'Scared' isn't a word I would use to describe my coaster experiences, but I have ridden a couple that have shocked me. Hypersonic XLC's launch shocked the hell out of me...I wasn't expecting it to be that forceful. Also, Texas Giant back in the early 90's shocked me, before all of the trim brakes, midcourse brake stop, and major reprofile. Back in its day, TG was awesome. I haven't had a wooden coaster experience that intense since then.

The only amusement ride that has truly scared me was the skycoaster at PKD. The split second right after pulling the cord gave me bad dreams for days afterward.

Post July 7th, 2005, 12:37 am

Points on hand: 3,649.00 Points

the scariest coaster I've ridden was Blue Flash because your sitting in a car seat while riding on pieces of scrap metal, you never know if its gonna just come crumbling down while you're on it... jk (for those of you who don't know it's a homemade coaster some guy built in his backyard)

Post July 7th, 2005, 12:43 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
First, concerning the Stand Up, you SHOULD stand up all the way. Feet flat against the back with a straight back. No slouching or sitting on the seat or it will be painful. Its called a stand up, so stand up.

As for scariest...Maybe when my lap bar came unlocked on the drop of Mean Streak. But aside from that, my first back seat ride on Shivering Timbers with a 4-click ride. I was scared because my buddy who is half my size had the same lap bar position and I seriously thought he was going to be ejected based on how much airtime I was getting. Luckily he locked it down just a few more but it was still extremely shocking.

Nothings scary anymore though.

Post July 7th, 2005, 2:45 am

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

ech, coasters dont really scare me, but Acrophobia, that stand up floorless freefall, i almost wet my pants hehe. The anticipation of the drop plays with your mind and when its over you are screaming for more

Post July 7th, 2005, 2:54 am

go rctycoon!!! woo!! i still sa the georgia scorcher is intense for a stand up, p.s. i wasn't scared on acrophobia, it was awesome, i'd been looking forward to ride it so i wasn't scared.

Post July 7th, 2005, 3:10 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by rctycoon112

that stand up floorless freefall

wtf?

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions