Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Shivering Timbers

Shivering Timbers

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 26th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,853.00 Points
I discovered that there are no discussion about Shivering Timbers!

Put here some comments about the ride. How is the airtime? Does it reach the so called "WOW-factor"?

Also, if you are able, you could try to compare it to Colossos @ Heide Park.

Iv'e heard that it is a good ride but I'm intrested about hearing some more.

Looks quite cool, I think.

Post May 26th, 2005, 4:19 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Shivering Timbers has floater airtime over every hill, and the pace is furious. Everything about this ride is cool, and it is in my top 3 wood coasters. Michigan's Adventure is a nice park, so you should ride it if you get the chance. If you really want an insight into how this coaster stacks up in the coaster world, you can read my park review of Michigan's Adventure, located here

Post May 26th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Shivering Timbers for me last year had floater over every hill in the front seat and straight ejector in the back seat over every hill. Its simply an amazingly stunning ride. The design is sooo simple, yet, it pulls off what its meant to do better than any other ride in existance IMO. The airtime is ridiculous and better yet, the turn around and helix have a very large dose of laterals which caps off an otherwise airtime fest.

My #1 ride, by far. Simply stunning ride.

See pictures at www.real-coasters.com including a massive panorama of the entire ride.

Post May 27th, 2005, 6:08 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

have you been on Boulder Dash? That seems like it would be more fun, because it looks like it has more air hill, and maybe about the some dose of lats.

Post May 27th, 2005, 6:29 pm

more air hills?! Theres not more than ST. Theres 14 spots of real airtime (theres a few hills that you could count, but most seats get 14) on ST when it runs hot. Id say like 10 when its running slower. Back seat though has the most plentiful and quality airtime Ive ever experienced. I think Boulder Dash looks like more pops of air with a few sustained while ST is almost all sustained on the way out and pops coming in. Its pretty much my perfect ride. The turn around coming in has a ton of lats and the super suprising part of ST is the jab left hand turn that dives. If you are sitting back right, you get thrown up then the train jabs to the left throwing you up and to the right. My first back seat ride I had like a 4 click ride - swore I wasnt making it back to the station.

Not to mention the helix has some wicked sustained laterals. Ive never felt laterals like that for that long, craziness.

Overall, I think BD is a more rounded ride but itll be hard to beat ST for me. Though, BD has a better pacing I hear...

Post May 27th, 2005, 7:48 pm

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
And a wicked run through the woods, which IMO, would be better than a run out in the middle of a giant flat field...it looks as if Timbers would have more airtime, but Boulder Dash might just be a better ride because of the unorthodox elevation changes and run through the dense forest. Yet, I've ridden neither, so, I really don't know.

Post May 27th, 2005, 8:26 pm

Yea, thats what I mean.

If you want the overall ride experience, I think BD wins easily. But for what its meant to do, I dont think any ride can compare to Shivering Timbers. It would hard to make an out an back of that proportion be anything other than a run out and back in a field.

Building those huge supports in a wooded area wouldnt be so easy and nor would it look right.

Post May 28th, 2005, 1:05 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

My first back seat ride I had like a 4 click ride - swore I wasnt making it back to the station.

You need to ride Coaster @ Playland [;)] It has restraints that give MORE ROOM than buzzbars, and has about 7 places of VERY powerful airtime. Scariest coaster currently operating IMO, and one of the most underrated coasters in the world.

As for Shivering Timbers, it looks like it was great in 1998 [;)]. Cedar Fair doesn't deserve a ride like that though.

Has anyone here ridden both Timber Terror and Shivering Timbers? I doubt it, but am very curious of which one is a better ride. I went on a coaster trip last year with a friend of mine who also is a coaster enthusiast, and he said it was a better ride than Shivering Timbers. I've also read 1 or 2 reviews in which the writers of them preferred Timber Terror to ST.

Post May 28th, 2005, 8:40 am

Actually I think you are right.

Also, about Coaster, if I ever get NEAR it, Ill be on it. Its QUITE a different right though.

Timber Terror has some mad floater which I hear is what most of the ride is. Its got one airtime hill thats something like 4 solid seconds of floater. Im more of an ejector person myself, but considering NONE of those rides are even remotely close to me, Ill stick with Shivering Timbers for now.

And also, I rode last year and only one part of the track was a bit rough - the helix. There was one spot in the hills where the transition is really fast but I think its more design than maintenance. Its been taken care of very well for a Corporate ride.

Post May 28th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

It does have all floater, but each hill still brings you right out of the seat up to the buzzbar (yes, buzzbar, not lapbar). And while its still all "only" floater, its some of the best airtime I've ever experienced. Another thing about the ride is its powerful laterals... The turnaround and helix at the end hit you with very powerful laterals and only increase... especially on that helix.

Another cool point about Timber Terror is pulling up into the brakes you get airtime in the BACK seat. [:)]

Post May 28th, 2005, 3:36 pm

With buzzbars though, all you need is some speed and a decent transition to pull that off.

However, with buzzbars everything is made better. Buzzbars OWN.

Post May 29th, 2005, 9:30 am

Points on hand: 2,953.00 Points
Shivering Timbers is a great ride. I ride it aleast 3 times a year. If funny that I don't ride it more becuse I live and 1 hour and 30 mins east of it.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions