Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Silent Hill Review

Silent Hill Review

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 17th, 2006, 11:17 am

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
I get into a lot of movies ahead of time due to a few contacts, so I thought I would start posting some reviews for you guys. Let me know if this is OK Oscar, and if everyone thinks this is a good idea.

Silent Hill

Let me start my saying that the previews for this movie have really got me excited to see it. I am so sick of crappy video game addaptions that I was hoping that a story line as rich as Silent Hill would translate well. I had just gotten done watching the "directors cut" of Doom at a friends this weekend, so I was a bit down on video game movies as Doom was spectacularly shitty.

Silent Hill is not at all what you think it will be. I will try very hard not to have any spoilers as this movie will really surprise a lot of people. Let me say first off that the characters are all very well developed and you have a vested interest in them from frame one. The movie really flows well and the set design is out of this world.

A good portion of the movie takes place in a old hospital that is about the creepiest set I have seen since the Texas Chainsaw basement. The movie wastes little time getting to Silent Hill and then proceeds to slowly tighten the noose of dread around the audience. I really felt at times that there was no way anyone would ever survive such a nightmare.

That brings me to the one caution I have for the casual viewer. This movie is breathtakingly violent and disturbing. Some of the scenes reminded my of a cross between The Cell and Hellraiser. There are quite a few genuinely horrifying images that just amazed me. I am a adament horror fan, so I have seen quite a few movies over the years. I don't think this should deter non gore fans as the horror is more atmospheric than the sado-masacistic gore of movies like Hostel. I have included a link to an image that Aintitcoolnews pulled off a site that seemed to have gone down. I should warn you that it is graphic in nature.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22491

Keep in mind that this is one of many disturbing images that serve to immerse you in the nightmare that Silent Hill has become. That's really as much as I can put without giving away what is a great plot that made me believe that a good director and set design can translate a video game into a good movie.

I give Silent Hill 4.5 out of 5 Slappys (Weeweeslap stars)

Silent Hill is directed by Christophe Gans and comes out on April 21st, 2006.
Last edited by pdonahue on February 17th, 2006, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Off Topic Discussion