Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Six Flags Magic Mountain 2015 - Twisted Colossus

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2015 - Twisted Colossus

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
It looks really incredible. If people are saying El Toro hills, that makes me weak at the knees... The time from the kicker launch to the final brake run is around 3 minutes and 10 seconds... insane. I know there are two lifts. But that drop, twice, in one sitting... Gah.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
>People comparing to El Toro
>Haven't ridden El Toro

*cue sad violin*
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
I feel your pain
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Paradox User avatar

It's kind of funny that I am about 3-4 hours away and still haven't gone to SFGAdv.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

yeah, that just occurred to me and I was gunna say...I at least have an excuse lol
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^^Hey man, I haven't ridden Boulder Dash either :lol: I feel your pain
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

What?! I live 10 hours from SFGAdv and I've been there twice! :O (sorry continuing offtopic)

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's rather odd they put the booster wheels there. I wonder if it was an afterthought.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
It's rather odd they put the booster wheels there. I wonder if it was an afterthought.

Well, Colossus used to launch from the station, otherwise it couldn't reach the lift hill :lol:

I'm staying with my opinion though about this ride. If these rides were 2 separate rides, they would be cool but extremely short. Now you get one longer ride but the 2nd lift hill kills the pacing to me. Any adrenaline it had build up gets lost during that 2nd, 50 seconds long chainlift.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Well, Colossus used to launch from the station, otherwise it couldn't reach the lift hill :lol:

I'm staying with my opinion though about this ride. If these rides were 2 separate rides, they would be cool but extremely short. Now you get one longer ride but the 2nd lift hill kills the pacing to me. Any adrenaline it had build up gets lost during that 2nd, 50 seconds long chainlift.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

If they were 2 seperate rides the pacing would be killed as you got off the ride and queued up for the other side?

It's like riding 2 rides back to back without having to queue up - I fail to see how that is a detriment to the ride?!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

mkingy wrote:

If they were 2 seperate rides the pacing would be killed as you got off the ride and queued up for the other side?

It's like riding 2 rides back to back without having to queue up - I fail to see how that is a detriment to the ride?

I'm a fan of non-stop action. So if the ride takes a break of almost a minute, it kills the pacing and adrenaline for me. I'd rather ride a short action packed ride rather than something with a long dull piece in the middle. So if these were 2 separate rides it would have been 2 separate awesome rides, yet short. Since this is one, I'm judging it as one.

Your comparison doesn't really make sense to me though. Since, If I got off the ride. I can re-ride the same ride or do something else. That doesn't has any effect on the pacing of the actual ride. The pacing is pretty much anything that starts from the departure in the station until the final brakes.

Paradox User avatar

Dirk_Ermen wrote:
mkingy wrote:

It's like riding 2 rides back to back without having to queue up - I fail to see how that is a detriment to the ride?

I'm a fan of non-stop action. So if the ride takes a break of almost a minute, it kills the pacing and adrenaline for me. I'd rather ride a short action packed ride rather than something with a long dull piece in the middle. So if these were 2 separate rides it would have been 2 separate awesome rides, yet short. Since this is one, I'm judging it as one.

Your comparison doesn't really make sense to me though. Since, If I got off the ride. I can re-ride the same ride or do something else. That doesn't has any effect on the pacing of the actual ride. The pacing is pretty much anything that starts from the departure in the station until the final brakes.

But 4 minutes of ride time!!!!11!11!1!!11

If they market it as the world's first launching hybrid coaster I will legit die.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Sure it would be nicer if it LIM launched up the second lift to keep things going. But then again it wouldn't race. Idk, I'm fine with the lift because both sides are different and look intense, plus you get to experience two awesome first drops.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
mkingy wrote:
Your comparison doesn't really make sense to me though.

You don't understand how this ride is like riding two rides back to back?

Each to their own I guess.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Honestly, the second lift does not kill the ride at all, it actually adds to it.

On a lot of my rides, people were screaming, laughing, clapping and catching their breath as we came to the green lift. The ride could have been over, and people would have been satisfied and very happy with what just happened. That blue side is just killer.

On the green lift people were excited about what was going to happen next, not bored because they were on another lift. The second lift plays into anticipation BECAUSE the first half was scary awesome. The green run then ends up being even wilder then the blue. It's a great game RMC plays with the rider and I can't wait to see how an unsuspecting GP reacts to it.

It's a great, great ride, right up there with Maverick imo. The only reason Wicked Cyclone is better is because it's maybe the best ride in the world! lol

I get that some people like non stop action. Well guess what? 98 percent of coasters follow that pattern, so you're covered. I appreciate things that are sometimes different, and don't always follow the "usual" pattern.
Last edited by Manic Monte on May 21st, 2015, 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
The double down on the green side looks incredible in virtually countless ways. Judging from the front seat onride video, the moment you stare down that element should be breathtaking. The way it seems to sharply twist over and around the "linear" and relatively simple-looking large drop of the blue side looks like it's the one element on the green side that signals, "no more joking around, this is the real deal!" (As if the blue side wasn't already great.) Also, unlike most other double downs that level out almost completely before the second dip, this one looks like it has a continuously descending slope, thus retaining the fluid "drop" sensation on a conventional drop but playing around with positive, negative, and possibly even lateral forces more creatively than a regular drop does on the way down! It looks like the ideal, perfect double down element, and it's one of the very few parts of any ride ever that's made me go "woah!" just by looking at it from a computer screen.

Also just checked out some back seat onride POVs of Twisted Colossus and I can safely say that assuming the trains are always timed right, the element right after the aforementioned double down -- the 0G stall above the blue side's airtime hill -- legit looks like the single most incredible moment on any modern steel coaster ever. Just from looking at videos it already looks incredibly trippy and beautiful at the same time. You're looking "up" towards another train that is traveling in perfect sync with your train -- but you are fully aware that the train you're looking "up" towards is another object that's separate from the train you're riding on. That alone is already an incredibly elegant maneuver, but the thing is, that one element is taken upside down so the way you perceive "up" and "down" is completely distorted and literally flipped the other way around. In addition, there's this dizzying mess of wood / steel structure rushing right past you while all of this is happening. You and the other train (which is directly "above" you) are traveling at high speed, in perfect sync, right through a chaotic mess of wood and steel, all while the very definitions of "up" and "down" are completely warped. Absolutely beautiful.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
Just rode this baby front row, first person on the ride today!
Airtime was amazing! The first drop is STEEP!
Airtime, airtime!
Top gun stall was incredible!

Airtime rumors confirmed!
TC is game of the year material folks!

I was in a media blackout this whole week, didn't want anything to influence my thoughts.

But yeah it's that good!

P.S the guy next to me was smoking weed on the lift, that's SFMM for you. Preview day, first train, first riders, and 1st guy to smoke lol

>Inb4 someone jokes it was me
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

^
:lol:

I'll post a better review after work (yeah I drove an hour to ride TC and then left right after to work! Had to ride it! Worth it!)

Here are some station pics, I was too excited and in to much of a rush to take more :lol:
They basically just topped off the right side of the station and made a bigger queue, not much. change to the station.

But I love how awesome TC came out, kinda funny how good it came out too, people on YouTube are mad on good it came out. Other park fanboys were dead wrong. :lol:
But more thoughts on the ride later :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Paradox wrote:
But 4 minutes of ride time!!!!11!11!1!!11

Yet effective ride time is only just over a minute :lol:

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Ohhhhh I assumed the land just looked flatter than it was around there.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Usually when you hit the brake run (on a normal coaster) you just want more, or to do it again; well that's exactly what this ride gives you, but without the 1hr+ line! Not only that, but you get to experience (in my opinion) the better of the two sides, the green side
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

MINI REVIEW

Theme:
Minimal effort shown, but they repainted scream, so the whole area looks CLEAN and NEW, which is great.
There is themeing, but the most that stood out was the entrance to scream, it looks amazing!

Trains:
not to much to say, their the same trains RMC uses for all their coasters. I love the front of the train! It looks original! WC feels like they just copied and pasted from Medusa.
Blue train looks much nicer and not so goofy.
RIDE:
The booster wheels was unexpected for me :lol: their a good touch, the train does craw out of the station compared to the original.
The mini airtime hills were fun, but they could always turn up the speed on the booster wheels ;)
Not a steep lift, but what a drop! I could go on for days on the first/multiple first drops! The lift isn't steep so the drop therefore feels even steeper! the slight change of direction on the first drop creates this illusion of beyond vertical, or at least 90. It felt steeper than full throttle. (can't imagine what the back would feel like) RMC first drops are something else.
I was surprised how much airtime you get on the ride, also the blue side is the airtime after airtime, and headchoppers! When it goes under the green's double down, headchoppers! This reminded me of the original.
The blue sides zero g roll feels different than the green's stall. You fly thru the zero g roll, but the stall feels like a long time! I was happy it felt diffrent than any other inversion, your not hanging, or being forced into your seat, your just upside down for a much longer time than what is normal. Trust me, a stall does feel different than a zero g. Hope everyone gets to experience one, because its great.

Also I get some of the complaints people have on the pacing. Goliath's (SFMM) MCBR KILLS the pacing for the ride. I don't like it, and I'm very critical of pacing killing coasters.
But this doesn't really feel pacing killing, the other train on the lift keeps things entertaining and fun, also the thought of another FIRST drop, keeps the blood pumping,
Many times something is pace killing because the 2nd half can't match the 1st, and the MCBR (OR anything else) is the line that separates each half. But because both half's are equally good, or have something to look forward to, there no real loss of pace. (just remember The Beast has two lifts and people think its amazing)

Overall TC is a beast, and I'm happy it came out of nowhere, to possibly be the best new coaster of the year. Or at the very least piss alot of people off, the ride came out good, sorry! (please keep in mind I'm not talking about anyone on this site, more YouTube type people, I know you guys are cool ;) )

Can't wait to the next time I can get out there, and find the best seat. Front row is a must at least once, but very few times its the best seat. usually turns out to be middle back.

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Highest compliment that I heard today.

"Think 2 Intamin Megalite rides for the price of one. That's Twisted Colossus"!
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I'd never say no to a 2 for 1.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!