Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions The official Millenium Force vs Superman ROS SFNE

The official Millenium Force vs Superman ROS SFNE

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
The battle of the top 2. The title mostly explains. Just make sure to give reasons specifically.

Post August 21st, 2008, 4:05 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,707.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post August 21st, 2008, 4:42 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Battle of the top two? Lol. I'm sure most would pick SROS, but I haven't been on it. As long as it has some airtime, it would win for me, pluss the bunny hills look fun. Again though, can't judge...

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Been on MF 4X, and SROS 9X...tried front and back on both. I'd say on either ride, (unlike most coasters) front row is easily best, but back is also a lot of fun for different reasons. On MF, front is best because you can't really feel that sustained wind and speed in the back, and the ride focuses on speed more than airtime. On SROS, again the ride seems faster in the front, plus the change in forces entering the airtime is more noticeable, and the air seems more sustained (when, in reality, it's about the same as the back, just occuring at different points on the hill). The first drop on MF is absolutely amazing in the back, seems really long and has maybe -.4 g's sustained until the pullout, and on SROS you get a nice pop of air on the drop, plus the ride seems a little more wild in the back.

I think SROS is much better, though MF is one of my top rides too. Superman is much more dynamic, with incredibly strong airtime and an overall more interesting layout. Its drop isn't nearly as good on Superman, and it doesn't have that sustained speed through almost the entire layout, but its layout works perfectly because it has sustained speed in parts (most notably the overbank until the 2nd camelback, and the second helix) and is more dynamic in the rest of the ride. Superman paces faster over its hills too, which is one of its main draws IMO. The lakeside setting I actually found more breathtaking than MF's setting, probably because of the scenery on the other side of the lake, and the interation with the ground and people offride was better too.

So yeah, SROS can't touch MF for height, sustained speed, and first drop quality, but what it does do right is take that 200 feet worth of speed and create pacing unlike almost any other ride, and combine it with incredibly strong and dynamic airtime, surprisingly good and unexpected lats in spots, and a varied layout with higher quality tunnels and a much better ending.

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:44 pm

Post August 21st, 2008, 7:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Superman by a lot.....But there a lot of wood coasters I would rather ride than either of them

Reason being that Superman's layout is a lot less drawn out and only has one 'dead' spot...where as most of MF's layout is a dead spot. I don't care what people say about overbanks, I don't like them, they bore me. In a different topic I said while MF does have air, it's really weak and comparable to B&M hyper air, except there are only 2-3 spots of it. I don't find the first drop that amazing because while it's steep, as soon as it gets there it starts to pull out. I felt a lot more airtime on Voyage's first drop than I did MIllennium Force's.

Like DCs said, Superman's layout is a lot more dynamic and a lot more forceful. The progression of the layout is some of the best on any coaster as well. Setting to me is about equal, although I prefer Superman's slower lift to be able to look around a bit more.

Like I said though, there are a lot of wood rides I would ride before either of these. Neither throw you around or feel out of control like a coaster should IMO. 1 hour to the south of Superman is where it's at (Dash).

Post August 21st, 2008, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

As good as Superman is I would rather ride Dash anyday. Superman might have stronger air but Dash has a lot more moments...plus the out of control factor, setting, ect.

Post August 22nd, 2008, 9:08 am

Boulder dash is realy good. During the Ace event i also did boulder dash 8 times in a row. It seemed to get tiring. But superman just got better and better.

BTW- did you hear about dash getting the new trains. Handmedowns- go to boulderdash on rcdb. They are from wildcat hersheypark.

Post August 22nd, 2008, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Yeah, Jerry (the GM) told us that on the 2007 offseason tour. Their original plan was to swap out sets alternating each year (Hershey trains 2008, originals 2009, and so on) to reduce their maintenance load in that they could be rebuilding the other set during the regular season, but at the end of the 2007 season they tried running both trains (before the whole ride was fully retracked) and it ended up breaking track steel, screwing up both trains (they already had the other train dispatched). Jerry said he was extremely lucky he had the Hershey trains so the ride wouldn't be down for the rest of 2007.

At the 2008 tour he told us he wasn't sure if he was going to try to rebuild the original set, buy a new set to do the alternating thing, or just stick with the Hershey trains. I think with their budget they'll stick to the latter (not that they don't have the money, but with the other things the park is doing it seems unnecessary).

As for how they ride, I like them a lot. Other than the hollow seat divider (though they added some extra padding) and the rips in the upholstery (old train's seats were usually kept up well), they're pretty comfortable and seem to run significantly faster than the old ones. The green one seems a bit more shaky and a little bit slower to me, so I do prefer the blue one over the two, but I think I like both more than the red and yellow ones.

I don't think the ride is tiring at all - just seems to get faster and more aggressive as the day goes on as it always has (but is still running very smooth this year). It's absolutely unbelievable at night.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions