Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions This makes no sense

This makes no sense

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 11th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
How is Maverick at Cedar Point going to run 6 trains? The train can't leave the station until the other train has passed the LIM launch, so that means your only going to have two trains on the main track at once. You'll probably have one more sitting on the break run right before the station and then one station for unloading and another for loading? That still leaves one train un accounted for, not to mention you don't want that one train sitting before the station waiting for a long time, and how do they expect to keep a good pace in terms of dispatching trains quickly with only 3 cars per train and yet a not very simple restraint system. I fail to see how this can put out a decent rider per hour amount. Although this isn't in the animation, does this suggest a double loading station? So many questions left to be answered ...

Post September 11th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,200.00 Points

i would assume that the loading station will capacitate more than one train at a time, two or possibly three. that would make two on the track, two or three in the station (4/5), and one or two on blocking (6)

Post September 11th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

I think its really 5 trains running with one in the coral.

Post September 11th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,590.00 Points
well, since I imagine everyone has seen the video, I'll bet that straight section leading into the swooping curve over the water will serve as a block section and there will actually be 3 trains on the track/outside brakes/station:

1 on the lift
2 in the tunnel/going through the sidewinder section (alot of speed is lost in that tunnel, which gives the next train some breathing room to make it to the next block so as not to get rear-ended)
3 doing the 2nd half of the ride

then 4, 5 and 6, will be on the brakes/in the station. It wont take that long to load a 3 car train either...so they can probably pump 'em out at a good pace to keep with the flow of the ride. And if something stops up, the train in the tunnel can brake, the train on the lift can probably brake, and the train about to go over the 2nd half can brake on that one section.

Trust me, the minds @ Intamin and Cedar Point have thought out and worked out all the kinks
[approve]

Post September 11th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Theres a block between the station and lift...I'm almost sure. So that would mean 2 running the course, 2 in the station, one waiting to launch and one waiting to go up the lift.

Post September 11th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
The mind of Werner Stengel, it may have 2 running (1 before and 1 after launch), one on exit station, one on loading station, 1 on a block between stations, and then a block before the exit station or on the lift maybe.
Gay sex is great! (Qwerty 18:22)

Post September 11th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I was thinking from watching the video that the first and second halves of the ride will act kind of like a dueling coaster (at least in a couple spots). My guess is that it will work something like TTD, where two trains load and move out of the station at the same time, while one goes up the lift and the other sits and waits for the first to clear the launch. This way, the two will always sync up right. This would make for two trains loading, two running, and two unloading or sitting on the brakes.

Post September 11th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Yea, i found 3 duel-like spots. One was the first drop and the overbank under the drop, the first turn after the drop and the first turn after that overbank, then the brake run and the turn under it.

Post September 11th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
Mmm...

Ok, from knowing how they work things and what not. I dont think there will be a dual loading station like Ka or some of the Beamer Flyers. They would mention that in the ride stats becuase some think its cool, 2ndly in the animation they show the twin supports supporting the single track.

I think they will try to run 6 trains, but will find out that its to stressfull for the employees to deal with imperfect guests and checking then dispatching a train very very quickly. Saddly I bet it will be some crazy system that works in theory but they will run into some issue that they didn't think of. But I bet it will work very similar to Dragster, with a block before the lift hill for a train to park at and the train going up the lift hill will pick up speed as the train ahead of it clears its block. I bet there will be some issue or another with it though.

Post September 12th, 2006, 3:23 am

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Completely agree with what Coaster individual has just said.

Although running 6 trains would be great in an ideal world, I doubt you would see it on Maverick.
When the ride first opens and there is all the 'new ride' hype, management will try to get a 6 train operation - however, while staff get used to the system, its trains etc. it would be difficult.
Then, after the hype theoretically dies down and the queues shorten, I imagine that staff will possibly lose enthusiasm and management will make the decision not to run 6 trains.

At Thorpe Park, Stealth has 3 trains, and this was announced as such on the construction website. However, it was never the case that 3 trains would all be on the track - this may well be the case on Maverick.

Anyone who has been on an Intamin Accelerator with the new harnesses will know that they are VERY hard to pull down - now imagine having to pull down half a trains-worth of restraints. It's tiring and requires a lot of physical strength.

Unless there are blocks around the track where the trains will stop, as Coaster individual mentioned above, I cannot see a smooth 6 train op.

Post September 12th, 2006, 8:28 am

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

^probably not going to fly with the station style or OTSRs on those trains. How does one make the entire deck move linearly forever without liability for injuries???

I think the general assumption is being made that they will be running 6 trains at once on this thing, and I tend to disagree with that. While I suppose that they could (which would probably entail simply stacking them in the gobs of blocking at the end!), this would probably only happen during peak hours or right when it opens. I don't need to say anything else because it has already been mentioned by dragon2000 and coaster individual about the harnesses/track. My belief is that they ordered 6 trains but may not have intended on using more than 5 at once, if not fewer.

It had been mentioned above, but I defenitely think that the interaction points on the ride are going to be of more importance to CP than capacity, at least at first. This will be very easy to program in and adds a lot to the ride experience! However, I still can't really see them stacking a train in the tunnel (unless, of course, there is some cool visual or themeing element in there!).

Post September 12th, 2006, 9:04 am

Points on hand: 1,804.00 Points
Originally posted by dragon2000

Completely agree with what Coaster individual has just said.

Although running 6 trains would be great in an ideal world, I doubt you would see it on Maverick.
When the ride first opens and there is all the 'new ride' hype, management will try to get a 6 train operation - however, while staff get used to the system, its trains etc. it would be difficult.
Then, after the hype theoretically dies down and the queues shorten, I imagine that staff will possibly lose enthusiasm and management will make the decision not to run 6 trains.

At Thorpe Park, Stealth has 3 trains, and this was announced as such on the construction website. However, it was never the case that 3 trains would all be on the track - this may well be the case on Maverick.

Anyone who has been on an Intamin Accelerator with the new harnesses will know that they are VERY hard to pull down - now imagine having to pull down half a trains-worth of restraints. It's tiring and requires a lot of physical strength.

Unless there are blocks around the track where the trains will stop, as Coaster individual mentioned above, I cannot see a smooth 6 train op.

I agree with this, considering it is a new system, it will be difficult for all the staff to get used to the 6 trains. While they get into the sync of things, I would assume that there will be a lot of waiting on breaks, while waiting for the dispatch.

Post September 12th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Dunno if this was said or not, but the train is considered to have passed the launch once it passes that first set of brakes. that would, in turn, speed things up a bit. I think they've timed it so that the time it takes from the launch to the end is equal to the time it takes from the lift to the launch (AB = BC). And from there, its probly automated enough that the staff are just there to visually confirm that its safe and do all the little op things; I don't see how they could do it otherwise. All that and an unload platform would probly do the trick.

Post September 12th, 2006, 9:08 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I think those brakes before the launch are for blocking purposes, as seen on Atlantis Adventure (which, as already pointed out, uses a very similar system as to what maverick is using) I think the results will be the same.

Post September 13th, 2006, 9:30 am

Points on hand: 1,804.00 Points
Originally posted by coolbeans326

I think those brakes before the launch are for blocking purposes, as seen on Atlantis Adventure (which, as already pointed out, uses a very similar system as to what maverick is using) I think the results will be the same.

Right, which means that If there is a double loading platform in the station, there could be two in the station, one on the lift, one on the launch pad, one on the breaks behind the launch pad, and one finishing the course, possibly on its way into the station.

Post September 13th, 2006, 5:28 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Two in the station
One before the lift
One before the launch
One on the initial brake segment
One before the station

I think there has gotta be another in there, most likely another before the station, or maybe another before the launch. Remember, the lift won't have a block, mainly because there will be a block before the lift and the lift is very fast.

Why a block before the lift? To synchronize the trains for dueling moments. Everything works together it seems, Intamin has really outdone themselves once again with such a small, yet neat project.

Post September 13th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
I think that the whole synchronization system won't last long. Ride Ops may not load them fast enough.

Post September 13th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
Loading trains quickly is no easy task. On Raptor we were almost able to dispatch when we ought to before they allowed guests to bring bags and all that stuff in line with them. Once that happened we rarely dispatched when we were supposed to. I suppose though the fewer riders a train could hold the easier it would be to communicate to them that they need to hurry their ass up.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions