Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Track Building

Track Building

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post May 28th, 2003, 9:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,810.00 Points

OK, I've dibbled and I've dabbled, but still I can't seem to make anything remotely resembling a roller coaster in NL.

Does anyone know if there's some sorta tutorial out there (other than the help file!) to give a decent overview of creating pretty features?

If not, why don't we get a tutorial section on this here site? Could prove popular if it's one of a few out there :)

The main things I'm struggling to work out would be:

o When I download a track with textures and stuff, I don't have a clue what to do with them...
o From what I've read, it seems we can have 3ds models in our tracks. Is this limited in any way, or are the possibilities endless? IE, can we create buildings, track pieces, trains, "props" etc?

Thanks for any advice y'all have :)

Steve

PS Forgive me if I appear stupid, I've just spent more time reading and less time designing so far ;)

Post May 28th, 2003, 9:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

You don't appear stupid, I was as clueless as you about these same things before. Ok, for the textures and stuff, what you do with them when you extract them, you place them into their correct folders. For example, Cartextures go into cartextures folder and stuff. And 3d's are just extremely hard. If you want to attempt this extremely difficult building technique that have side effects such as extreme headaches, then you can go to www.anim8or.com or www.blender.org wich either one you choose, its VERY VERY hard, so be prepared. Tutorials: Don't know. Hope my advice helps!

-IntaminFan397

Post May 28th, 2003, 9:48 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

Is it 3DS (As in 3D Studio) or 3Ds, as in multiple instances of three dimensions?

That's where I've got stuck I think. If it's 3D Studio then I'm already halfway there :)

Post May 28th, 2003, 11:12 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
a .3ds file is a 3d object that has been exported from a 3d program. this is different from a .max file witch can only be opened in 3ds max. If you have a 3ds file that comes with a coaster, just put it and any textures that go with it, into the objects folder in your NL folder. As for building your own 3d objects, I'd recomend getting more familiar with NL, since your build in 3d there. The two programs that Intaminfan talked about are very good. Blender can compete with the top programs for many things, but has a setup that can make it a difficult program to get into.

Post May 28th, 2003, 11:14 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

maybe I can make an articles/tutorials section here in the site and people can write the tutorials and submitt them here. Would you guys like that? I think I can find that code for free on the web.

Post May 28th, 2003, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points

Post May 28th, 2003, 11:18 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

that would be an excellent idea!! I could use some tutorials myself...

Post May 28th, 2003, 11:19 pm

If only the site was coded in PHP, I'd be able to write it for you :P

Return to No Limits Coaster