Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions TTD-Accident

TTD-Accident

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post July 13th, 2004, 2:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

http://www.newsnet5.com/entertainment/3 ... etail.html

I don't think it was an engineering fault as much as bad luck.
Though Intamin had a lot of accidents, we must not forget that it was unfortunate accidents. This one may be different, but it's what you get when you push the envelope.
I hope the 4 victims won't be permanently injured from this.
This is a bad year for coasters and Intamin [V]

Post July 13th, 2004, 2:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Man i think this accident should of never had happend if they check the ride properly every day! But tis very sad that a accident like this has happned. I hope all the victims are ok and have a good recovery.

Post July 13th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

Omg! That is terrible! I hope those people are okay and hopefully nobody will sue CP or Intamin. Where did the metal come from? Was it part of the cable or what?

Post July 13th, 2004, 4:41 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
It was the cable snapping I think. before every train is launched, they need to check the cable, which I heard is the cause of all their breakdowns...

Post July 13th, 2004, 4:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,321.00 Points
Bad thing :(

Intamin has enormous problems with thier coasters this year, hmmmm :( :( :(

I hope that the persons whose where injured will get well soon!

Post July 13th, 2004, 4:50 pm

Post July 13th, 2004, 5:17 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,224.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by 38801xlr8

I hope those people are okay and hopefully nobody will sue CP or Intamin.

its America, of course they're gonna sue.

Thats pretty bad though, how scared would you be though if that happened to you. You were just enjoying the ride and bang, pain and blood........not good, but I suppose, if these accidents didn't happen, then I think that there wouldn't be as much of a thrill about coasters, I think most of the thrill is knowing that something could go wrong.

Post July 13th, 2004, 7:10 pm

A person who was there posted on another coaster-board and mentioned the situation was rather calm, even the injured guests didn't seem to realize it at first. They were able to walk out on their own.
We should be glad, it could've been a lot worse.

Post July 13th, 2004, 7:24 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points

Thats pretty bad though, how scared would you be though if that happened to you. You were just enjoying the ride and bang, pain and blood........not good, but I suppose, if these accidents didn't happen, then I think that there wouldn't be as much of a thrill about coasters, I think most of the thrill is knowing that something could go wrong.

Lol Gouldy, so true, anyway back onto the point, I am suprised no one was killed, I mean 120 mph and metal debris strikes your body and your in decent condition. All I can say is Holy ****, I am very suprised that no one was killed and thankful. I hope this issue is fixed and the guests, CP and Intamin can resolve this. Hopefully CP will learn and MAINTAIN THEIR RIDES BETTER.

Post July 13th, 2004, 7:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I'd sue CP if i was hit with metal and what not [lol] I need the $$$ Also there isnt much predicting if the cable is going to snap or fray. Usualy it would happen just like that and nothing could be wrong with the cable when its checked in the mornings. Well it certainly is all going downhill for Intamin this year. With pretty much all of thier main attractions crashing breaking down and what not. Lets just hope financial this wont affect Intamin from building more rides, because no doubt are they one of the best companys around .... i forgot what i was going to say

Post July 13th, 2004, 7:49 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by 38801xlr8

I hope those people are okay and hopefully nobody will sue CP or Intamin.

That's right Gouldy, people will sue, even people trying to break into people's houses sue because they got hurt in the process (which is the dumebst thing in the world, and those people should be arrested and not awarded money), but this would be a good reason to sue, you know how much medical bills cost? And if they did not check the ride, it's Cedar Point's fault. I don't think Intamin will get sued, though, because most people who go to parks aren't coaster nuts who llike to memorize who made what and what it was made outa. Anyways, i hope the kid with the piece of metal stuck in his chest lives.

Post July 13th, 2004, 7:54 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
if they used LIM's there would be no moving parts and this never would have happened! why did intamin stop using LIM's???

Post July 13th, 2004, 8:14 pm

Catapulting a Ride THAT fast to THAT speed is impossible with LIMs.
The acceleration is way lower than the acceleration of the catapult system. LIMs are used on TTD however, to stop the train in case of a rollback (the little fins that pop up after the train has cleared the launch).
I think LSM's have more power, but require a heavy, bulky train due to a magnet being placed inside the car. It also takes WAY too much power and has reliability issues (look at S:TE).
So hydraulic launch is the way to go. I'm sure the metal pieces weren't big enough to be fatal, at least thats what the eye-witness reports indicate. They must've come from the slit in the track where the cable runs through, and therefore it's designed so that no MAJOR pieces can fly out.
However, it turns out something still needs to be done, an accident like this can't be tolerated by either CP or Intamin.

Possible Solutions: Stronger Cable, maybe even a reinforced type of chain, or a type of "guard" to keep debris from being catapulted upwards.

Post July 13th, 2004, 8:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Using a LIM would take massive amounts of Electricity to propel the car to 120 and would not be as practical as a Cable launch

Post July 13th, 2004, 9:12 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Yah and plus sense the LIM acceleration is much lower than the catapult method I think that there would be two issues:

-Not as much of a quick "whip" exhilarting feeling during launch
-Because LIM acceleration is slower, the launching segment would have to be severley longer.

Post July 13th, 2004, 9:21 pm

well, superman the escape uses lims and that goes 100, and just look how far the technology has gone from there! superman: 0-100 in 7 secs, volcano: 0-50 in 2 (first launch) so its not out of the question.

Post July 13th, 2004, 9:32 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

what about an air launch, Dodonpa uses one and it gets to 106, so it can probly go up to 120... i dont know that much about air launches, but i think there is no cable.

Post July 13th, 2004, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,560.00 Points
Originally posted by coaster992001

well, superman the escape uses lims and that goes 100, and just look how far the technology has gone from there! superman: 0-100 in 7 secs, volcano: 0-50 in 2 (first launch) so its not out of the question.

S:TE has LSMs. A slightly different version of LIMs. BUT it takes S:TE about 7 seconds to get to 100 MPH and still, it hasn't gone that fast in a while plus its never open.

Volcano only gets you to 72 MPH using 2 launches.

Plus on top of that, LIMs are loud when not covered and look ugly with all the power cables and whatnot.

Compressed Air would work. The only problem is S&S hasn't proven its Trust air as good yet since reliabltiy is a problem with them *cough*Hypersonic*cough*.

Compressed Air does have cables. Its more or less a S&S tower put on the ground with the cables attached to a catch car.

Post July 14th, 2004, 1:04 am

lol, since when are LIMs loud? i was on wicked twister 2 weeks ago and it was rather quiet. either way, they need a better form of propulsion.

Post July 14th, 2004, 5:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,560.00 Points
Wicked Twister isn't that bad for some reason. VOlcano's are pretty loud and Premeirs are loud.

Post July 14th, 2004, 6:51 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

no, not realy, they lust have loud trains, not loud moters...

Post July 14th, 2004, 10:27 pm

Just be glad that TTD isn't in a six flags park, otherwise they would fire a lawsuit and intamin would have been out of bussiness a year ago. [lol]

Well, I just hope that NO ONE gets sued, otherwise CP won't be able to use thier money to further fix the ride.

Post July 15th, 2004, 3:05 pm

OK, the accident has been blown WAY out of proportion by the media and the victims, who are now considering a law-suit.
There was a misconception that they went to the hospital, they were treated at CP's first aid station for minor cuts. the "large metal pieces" are now being called "metal shavings".

Here are two articles that explain what really happened:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3527570/detail.html

http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news ... 6371&rfi=6

(thanks to people at ACN for pointing out these articles and the new info [;)])

Post July 15th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
I'm going to cedar point in a week. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I want to be safe, especially on the intamin rides. I'm not sure I trust Intamin anymore.

Post July 15th, 2004, 3:41 pm

Blah. I just hope that TTD is opened and operates safely when I go there in August.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions