Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Two Coaster Accidents Ring in the New Year

Two Coaster Accidents Ring in the New Year

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 3rd, 2008, 7:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

does anybody know how often TTD/Kingda Ka have a rollback? and what the odds are of a coaster getting stuck upside down like the one in china???

Post January 3rd, 2008, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
hey coaster king. i saw a similar thing happen while i was waiting in line to get on the raptor. the ride stoped at the bottom of the lift, the half way up. it sounded pretty similar.

Post January 3rd, 2008, 8:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I've never been stuck on a coaster (minus a few momentary stops on the lift), but I really want to get stuck at the top of TTD. I think it'd be fun because a) I'm not afraid of heights, and b) to say I was on that train. And I'd get a great view of the park. I've been wanting a rollback ever since it opened, and then one of my friends (who doesn't like coasters much) said she got a rollback the FIRST time she went on TTD. I was about ready to strangle her. lol

Post January 3rd, 2008, 8:55 pm

iknow, im kinda afraid of heights, but i dont care on caosters. maybe i can get one of the two this summer. maybe i have a good chance going once a week.
lol.

Post January 3rd, 2008, 9:18 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I'm pretty sure the larger rockets (KK/TTD) roll back a couple times a day...they are designed for a rollback to occur safely at any point in time...and then launch again!

I think it would be pretty cool to be stuck on the top of TTD...nothing is going to happen to you. The people should have rocked backwards so they could get another launch!

Post January 3rd, 2008, 9:35 pm

yeah, i bet if they all scooted one way or the other, they could have moved it.
lol.

Post January 3rd, 2008, 9:48 pm

Points on hand: 2,579.00 Points

Well, now we know why they don't run coasters during high wind in America.

Post January 5th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 1,541.00 Points
I hate hereing this kind of stuff because i would hate if it happened to me.

Post January 5th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Originally posted by coasterking1993

and worse, what six flags gave us for all of that-- a free small soda! WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! thats all we get for almost dying?!?! A FREE SODA?!?! (in my opinion) we should have gotten our season passes for free the next year for all of the crap we had to deal with. and they wouldn't even let my grandma get close to us or tell her that we were ok, even though she was freaking out!!!!! anyway, im done complaining now.

At least you got something out of it. At Six Flags over Texas, I got stuck on the lift of Judge Roy Scream for 2 hours and we didn't get anything.

I don't know why the didn't let us walk down the lift once they realized it was broken...

Post January 6th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

i agree. i got stuck on superman: ultimate flight for like 45 min. on the chain lift. first, it stopped right @ the beginning. then it went halfway up and stopped. then 20 min later it went almost to the top but stopped and started to slide downward, luckily it only went like 5 ft. down before it got caught on the chain. then everything--the track AND supports started to shake! [:O] finally they ran the motor at like 20 mph so we would get over the hill quickly before it stopped again. they took the other train off the track while we were stuck so that no other accident would occur, then they shut superman down for the next week![:O]

it was the worst experience of my life. i actually thought that i would die, and i also started praying when we got stuck and then got laughed at by the people behind us-- who were cracking jokes about their crotches hurting the ENTIRE TIME... and they also had to have a staff member come up the stairs and calm me down, and also my grandma was their (not my parents) and she frieked out too. she claims she was more scared then me, but everyone knew that it was TOTALLY NOT TRUE!

and worse, what six flags gave us for all of that-- a free small soda! WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! thats all we get for almost dying?!?! A FREE SODA?!?! (in my opinion) we should have gotten our season passes for free the next year for all of the crap we had to deal with. and they wouldn't even let my grandma get close to us or tell her that we were ok, even though she was freaking out!!!!! anyway, im done complaining now.

Why should they give you season passes for that? The free soda does seem a little cheap on their end (I personally would be pretty thirsty after 45 minutes of sitting on a coaster[:p]) but it's not like you were actually in any danger during that whole time, just uncomfortable. A full or partial refund for the day seems like it would have been a more appropriate thing for them to have done, but even that is pushing it IMO.

Post January 6th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points

Originally posted by TheArchitect

i really feel for the people who were inverted for half an hour. I was on Air once and we were held in the block for about 20mins and i had black bruising on my shoulders the next day.
Let alone those people, all off thier weight on thier shoulders for that long. It can put people off rides for life.
I find it odd they would get stuck like that, you'd think the ride would roll back central of the cobra.

i agree. i got stuck on superman: ultimate flight for like 45 min. on the chain lift. first, it stopped right @ the beginning. then it went halfway up and stopped. then 20 min later it went almost to the top but stopped and started to slide downward, luckily it only went like 5 ft. down before it got caught on the chain. then everything--the track AND supports started to shake! [:O] finally they ran the motor at like 20 mph so we would get over the hill quickly before it stopped again. they took the other train off the track while we were stuck so that no other accident would occur, then they shut superman down for the next week![:O]

it was the worst experience of my life. i actually thought that i would die, and i also started praying when we got stuck and then got laughed at by the people behind us-- who were cracking jokes about their crotches hurting the ENTIRE TIME... and they also had to have a staff member come up the stairs and calm me down, and also my grandma was their (not my parents) and she frieked out too. she claims she was more scared then me, but everyone knew that it was TOTALLY NOT TRUE!

*Shakes head* This site should be full of coaster freaks not kids.

Post January 11th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
ok seriously, if it wasn't safe to walk on catwalks of roller coasters i am officially scared about other things that "aren't safe"

Post January 11th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Post January 11th, 2008, 5:11 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

at least that was the only time ive ever been stuck on a ride *knock on wood*[;)]

well, thats pretty much all i have to say except that i hope those are the only accidents that happen in a LONGG time[;)]

You sir, are a gigantic wuss.

Post January 11th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Indeed! I mean, about an hour on a chainlift and you feared death!? Not even on a flyer, buddy.

we should have gotten our season passes for free the next year for all of the crap we had to deal with

No, you shouldn't have. The crap you had to deal with happens EVERY DAY and it's probably happened on almost EVERY ROLLER COASTER. Parks would throw away so much money if they gave season passes to anyone stuck on a train.

Post January 12th, 2008, 2:10 pm
SNJ

Points on hand: 668.00 Points
Well, I'm glad coasterking1993 got stuck on the lift and not a loop. He probably would have had a heart attack. Being stuck on the lift hill is probably one of the better places to be stuck on a ride. I've been stuck on a few rides in my days. Interesting experience. Never been stuck upside down.

Post January 12th, 2008, 2:15 pm

I think it would be fun to be stuck on the lift. Nice breeze, nice view. I agree with coasterkidmwm.

1337 post ftw.

Post January 12th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Points on hand: 488.00 Points
back to the original topic...that's astounding, truly remarkable...The physics of the situation are 1 in a million. Someone asked what the odds of getting stuck at the top of a loop. Truly 1 in a million. With high winds...slightly lower. Think about it in terms of physics: The train losing all of it's momentum when it's center of mass is directly over the apex of the curve...amazing when you think about the difference of weight of the passengers. Most trains are made of a fiberglass, metal fabrication, reducing weight, and thereby reducing friction. So the weight of the passengers isn't necessarily negligible...if there is a serious difference between some passengers. Now, losing momentum and valleying is something different...much more easy to do. Like Fiesta said, some of it is due to maintenance, sometimes it's applicable to a load/friction ratio...but at the top of a loop...that's astounding. I congratulate the people on that coaster in China, they're part of history...just kidding, that really would suck.

Post January 13th, 2008, 1:57 am

Points on hand: 1,271.00 Points
no idea how often the rocket coasters have a rollback. I was stuck on Titan the day it debuted at Six Flags Over Texas. An hour on the lift hill in the Texas summer, NOT fun. I don't envy anyone that gets stuck on a ride.

Post January 20th, 2008, 12:03 am

Points on hand: 1,207.00 Points
wow. i cannot believe that. you know, it wouldnt kill people to do some inspections once in awile!

Post January 20th, 2008, 12:15 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
^It might. A fall from high track actually would kill you.

Post January 20th, 2008, 12:20 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

^It might. A fall from high track actually would kill you.

A window washer fell 40 stories couple weeks ago and survived...

Post January 20th, 2008, 12:26 am

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

That was probably the luckiest thing to ever happen on earth.

Post January 20th, 2008, 12:56 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I would have bought a lottery ticket that day if I was that person [lol]

Post February 4th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,553.00 Points
its quite wierd..
out of so many riders that ride rollercoaster only about 20 of them get sent to da hospital in bad conditions....
and yet people still freak out over just one..

and its also weird..
how did the inverted coaster get stuck upside down like that??
in the middle of its cpourse?

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions