Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Voyage Timberliners

Voyage Timberliners

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post May 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I remember the last time I talked crap about a ride before it opened. When I rode it on opening day, it instantly became my favorite coaster. That ride was Maverick. So, I'm not gonna talk crap about the ride experience itself until I ride it. Plus, I think the look pretty sweet.

Post May 22nd, 2010, 12:56 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I still mourn the loss of Maverick's heartline roll.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 9th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post September 9th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yeah they had that up like a couple weeks ago...looks really slow. Hopefully for you all they fix that.

Post September 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Well now that all of the wheels are always touching the track, it has way more friction, like a steel coaster, so it will be slower untill the new trains break in.

Post September 9th, 2010, 12:56 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points
Wood coasters, and the trains themselves, have a breaking in period...which sometimes lasts the whole first season.

Looks can also be deceiving.

Post September 9th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yes, I know and understand that, but as of now it doesn't look as promising as one might hope. We shall see how it ends up performing.

Post September 9th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Points on hand: 287.00 Points
Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

Well now that all of the wheels are always touching the track, it has way more friction, like a steel coaster, so it will be slower untill the new trains break in.

I'm pretty sure that the wheels are still not completely hugging the track like B&M's do. The upstops are probably much closer to the track, but I wouldn't say always touching. It is probably about the same distance from the track as Intamin pre-fab trains are.
Im assuming you were talking about the upstop wheels and not the side-friction wheels.

Post September 9th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Originally posted by dcs221

Yes, I know and understand that, but as of now it doesn't look as promising as one might hope. We shall see how it ends up performing.

Im pretty sure the train in the video is the new 2nd train that the park JUST received. The first timberliner was hitting the brakes just as fast as the PTCS in the old testing videos!

Post September 9th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Originally posted by Millennium Force 44

Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

I'm pretty sure that the wheels are still not completely hugging the track like B&M's do. The upstops are probably much closer to the track, but I wouldn't say always touching. It is probably about the same distance from the track as Intamin pre-fab trains are.
Im assuming you were talking about the upstop wheels and not the side-friction wheels.

No the side friction. the wheels steer because, like b&m trains, there are two side friction wheels, that as you can see in this picture, make sure it is hugging the track.

Edit: See the two wheels?

Post September 9th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Points on hand: 287.00 Points
^ah ok I thought you meant the friction of the upstop wheels would slow down the ride. Not to get picky with your wording, but it isn't because the side friction wheels hug the track that makes it steer, but it is because the wheel assembly is almost on a sort of hinge that allows the wheel assembly to steer and rotate with the track. Just clarifying if you didn't know.
On a side note, I think once the trains are completely broken in, the speed of the ride shouldn't suffer much. Yes, more friction will slow down the train, but with more friction due to the wheels hugging the track, less friction will be loss due to the train shuffling, which will not happen because of the steering. It seems to me that you will gain friction in some places that you didn't previously, but will not gain as much friction in other places, which essentially will even the amount lost and gained.

Post September 9th, 2010, 10:04 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

between these and the ruining of texas giant i have soo much more motivation to go out and ride the coasters i've always wanted to ride..

Post September 9th, 2010, 10:06 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

I still mourn the loss of Maverick's heartline roll.
yea that sucked ass

Post September 9th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points

Post September 9th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Originally posted by Millennium Force 44

^ah ok I thought you meant the friction of the upstop wheels would slow down the ride. Not to get picky with your wording, but it isn't because the side friction wheels hug the track that makes it steer, but it is because the wheel assembly is almost on a sort of hinge that allows the wheel assembly to steer and rotate with the track. Just clarifying if you didn't know.

Yes i did know. I meant that the reason they steered ON their hinges is because the two wheels are close enough to the track TO steer it. Their "hugging" of the track does, in fact, steer it. If it was loose it would not steer as well. Get it? Im pretty sure i know how it works just as well as you do.

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!