Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion what about myspace is so addicting?

what about myspace is so addicting?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 13th, 2006, 11:13 am

Points on hand: 3,251.00 Points

I didnt even know i was addicted to myspace untill it got deleted. Im not sure why it was deleted, but i noticed for the next few days it was like i was having a nic fit! i had to recreate my profile and start trying to get frends back.
who else is an addict and what do you have to say about it!!! arrr!

for anyone who used to have me, my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/soul_creepr
Last edited by -sOul_CreePr- on October 13th, 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 13th, 2006, 11:32 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

I would not say it is addicting, but if you think it is addicting you really ought to spend a little more time in the sunlight my friend. I have one basically to rant a little bit here and there, and of course keep an eye on my kids who have them. Otherwise, I can live without it.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post October 13th, 2006, 11:36 am

well i can live with out it, i just get all figity when i dont check it every day...

Post October 13th, 2006, 11:40 am

Points on hand: 2,658.00 Points
Basically you can get addicted to everything you enjoy.

I used to have a website in the past but I abandoned it long time ago.

Post October 13th, 2006, 11:43 am

i had two websites, they are just floating around somewhere now lol

Post October 13th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

I would not say it is addicting, but if you think it is addicting you really ought to spend a little more time in the sunlight my friend.

tell that to the millions of people who do consider themselves addicted to it. it's almost the opposite of something like a computer game because you want more friends right? well how do people know you? you go out and do stuff with your friends.

for most people, it's an easier way to stay in touch with people you don't normally see or live far away.

Post October 13th, 2006, 2:35 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
too many people are in front of the computer too much living virtual lives. having a myspace isnt a bad thing, checking it every hour to see if someone thinks a picture of you (who may not even be you?) is cool.

i had one but i deleted it because of child molestors and such.

Post October 13th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

^they wont molest you unless you are a dipShiz. the people being abducted and whatnot, somewhat deserve what they get b/c they are sooo stupid.

i mean, they post things like "i live at 2351 bedrock street, only room on the second floor. you can find a spare key to the house under the rock. im home everynight by ten, and dont leave till 8am."

Post October 13th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

I just hate myspace. I think its just pointless and a waste of time to make a website with all your info and whatever, but thats just me, other people might find it fun.

Post October 13th, 2006, 3:11 pm

i use it more of an easy way to advertise stuff to people all over the US. Pretty similar to WWS accually.

Post October 13th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Originally posted by Brtnboarder495

I completly agree, that whole thing started in MY town. So all the kids in the hood had to delete it but I got rid of mine like a while ago.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Originally posted by RRollergod

Originally posted by Brtnboarder495

I completly agree, that whole thing started in MY town. So all the kids in the hood had to delete it but I got rid of mine like a while ago.

hate to break it to you, but Medinah illinois isnt "the hood". its far from it. and actually it isnt quiet suprising that it started in a town like yours, i mean, with all of the rich parents in your town i am sure that the kids will feel a false sense of security.

heres the thing, you arent in danger to have a myspace if you have a brain level thats normal, you only in trouble if you are a dipShiz and tell everyone personal info.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

i've never had i moment where i HAD to check it. i just do it when there's nothing else online or if i want to tell a large group of friends something totally random or something. that.. and you can listen to music and videos and stuff..

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,907.00 Points

I was going to make a myspace, but then I saw how my sister uses every waking moment of her life to post more and more things on myspace, so i deemed it incredibly stupid, and decided against it.

But myspace does seem to be addicting, there are INCREDIBLY few people at my school who don't have one. I'm talkin to my buddies about skateboarding, and they're like "check it out on my myspace" and I say to them...your a moron. Seriously, most of my friends who use it talk to people they could talk to in real life, they do not talk to people long distance. Myspace has even become used like AIM! because people are ALWAYS on it ALL the time!

Myspace is like smoking cigarrettes, I know that if I start I won't be able to stop, so I don't start. (well...not that I can't stop, just that I probably won't...and that starting will damage me: smoking will damage my lungs, myspace will cause my eyes to rot, and cause my brain to become stupid)

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Ragan you are right about what you said but still if you had one and some parent found out they would be on your @$$.

The 'hood' thing was a figure of speech.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:34 pm

i do have a myspace, and my both of my parents and even grandparents know i have it, they dont care. they just remind me once in a while to make sure to "not post personal info" on it. pretty much common sense not to do it.

good thing your figure of speech is just that, i take great personal offense of suburbian kids acting ghetto when they are the exact 180 of that. lol.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
^ Too bad Gazag didnt say anything. lol. Ummm, I think myspace is the biggest waste of peoples individuality ever. People all have the same exact sites and just edit colors and maybe have a few graphics. It really has sucked in the entire world. I cant even name someone other than myself who doesent have a myspace. It's really just a way for kids with no friends to feel good about themselves...

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
To answer your question in your topic title - NOTHING.

MySpace is usually addicting (for true addicts) for people who shy away from friends in real life and like to have a seperate or unattached life on the computer. Also, through the "friends" part of the site it can make you feel like youve accumulated lots of friends.

If you spend more time on the computer messing with your MySpace than messing with your friends - thats a problem.

Most true MySpacers would probably fit the personality type as somewhat withdrawn, lower self esteem and a strong desire for lots of friends and security.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:43 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Oddly enough I have a 12 page report and a 20 min oral presentation on MySpace.com and effects on society. This should be fun [:)]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post October 13th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Facebook is worse for some people.

But still.. MySpace is just for fun. That, and it's easy to quickly tell someone something or show someone a picture or something. i mean.. you could use e-mail and all, but it's easier for some who don't have everybody on contacts or something. and it's easier if the person is offline.

Post October 13th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Oscar, I would be interested in reading that when you finish it.

ragan - can your avatar be any larger?

Folks - I reiterate in a more direct fashion: If your online life is that addicting, you are in dire need of some actual human interaction. Quit hiding behind a computer screen and go make friends. Geesh.

Post October 13th, 2006, 5:04 pm

yes it tcon, it can be larger. would you like me to make it larger? i swear i have a peni avator enlarger around here somewhere... [;)]

Post October 13th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,417.00 Points
I pretty much hate myspace, but I still have an account that I barely check. I usually use it to look at pictures of other people.

Post October 13th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

A lot my friends (in real life!)have them so I have one.

Post October 13th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

Oscar, I would be interested in reading that when you finish it.

ragan - can your avatar be any larger?

Folks - I reiterate in a more direct fashion: If your online life is that addicting, you are in dire need of some actual human interaction. Quit hiding behind a computer screen and go make friends. Geesh.

It's a group project and I am not fond of some of the team members, honestly I'd do it on my own but teacher wants a group [:(] If it comes out like I want it to be I'll share it up.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion