Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Why do B&M flyers go so slow?

Why do B&M flyers go so slow?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 29th, 2004, 4:52 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I've watched videos of AIR and Superman and it just seems that it doesn't go more than the 40 mph hour (don't know how the fast is in Kilimeters) And thats not even most of the ride. Maybe thats the reason why they are so tame. I think B&M should make it faster and more intense, then everybody would like it!!! Example, the most intense part of Superman Ultimate Flight is the Prezle loop, which goes up to 60 mph. ANd then the rest is just so freaking slow, I got bored watching it on the video.
Last edited by coolbeans326 on May 29th, 2004, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 29th, 2004, 6:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

That really is a stupid question to be honest. You expect the coasters to go 100mph when there 50ft high. Also G Forces work in different ways when your lying down and the G force on the bottom on some drops would be really quite intense. Think about it, as you pull to horizontal in the lying postion all your body weight is beng shifted downwards into the restaints, which would also be very uncomftable

Post June 5th, 2004, 6:40 am

Points on hand: 5,877.00 Points

Yeah, I think 55 km/h is fast actually (that's 35mph). You americans have way too many coasters. :D Besides, I think that air wasn't designed to be an extreme coaster.

Here's how you convert miles to km: Divide the amount first with 5 and then multiply it with 8.

Post June 5th, 2004, 8:42 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,544.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Also I think it helps to have variation in a park, so you have your really fast and thrilling rides like say...raging bull or V2 for example and then you also have your slow and graceful rides like superman ultimate flight. Or in Alton Towers' case you have nemesis as your really fast thrilling ride and then air as your more slow and graceful ride. I think flying coasters are all just about the feeling of flight anyway, not the feeling of speed and high G-force, because you can get that on any other coaster type.

Post June 5th, 2004, 2:51 pm

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

I agree with gouldy. If B&M wants their flyers to be more intense, speed doesnt have to increase, the design of the track needs to change

Post June 5th, 2004, 7:05 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by gouldy

Also I think it helps to have variation in a park, so you have your really fast and thrilling rides like say...raging bull or V2 for example and then you also have your slow and graceful rides like superman ultimate flight. Or in Alton Towers' case you have nemesis as your really fast thrilling ride and then air as your more slow and graceful ride. I think flying coasters are all just about the feeling of flight anyway, not the feeling of speed and high G-force, because you can get that on any other coaster type.

good point [approve]

Post June 6th, 2004, 10:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

If you ride on Superman in real life, it feels a lot faster than watching the video, also, if your talking about the Superman in SFOG, it seems a lot faster because most of the time your face is rushing past the ground. The bottom of the pretzel loop already makes some people *hint hint* me, feel dizzy because of the g's. I could probably withstand more g's than that, but it just is a lot more than some rides.

Post June 6th, 2004, 10:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I rode S:UF before, and it was very slow and had bad pacing.

Post June 6th, 2004, 10:52 pm

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

which one did you ride?

Post June 6th, 2004, 10:55 pm

The one at SFGAdv, and all 3 of them are the same, SFOG's just has a tunnel.

Post June 7th, 2004, 12:14 am

but not all coasters give the same expierence, how many batman the rides are there? They are basically the same but each one gives a diff ride.

Post June 7th, 2004, 10:55 am
Master of Puppets User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 4,581.00 Points

Bad pacing? Explain please. I hate comments which degrade a ride without an explanation.

Post June 8th, 2004, 12:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

The other 2 s: uf are built over old parking lots. The one in sfog is built up on the side of a hill. Also, If you have never noticed, after sfog built theres, they found out how forceful it was, then modified the pretzel loops on the other 2.

Post June 8th, 2004, 12:57 pm

Bad pacing? Explain please. I hate comments which degrade a ride without an explanation.

It just goes through the turns so slowly. It could go through them faster and have more force, but its just paced way too slow. The Pretzel Loop is an exception, thats the only good part of the ride IMO.

rctycoon112, The BTRs I have been on feel the exact same. I don't know how you think that they give a different experience, when they are all the exact same rides. All B&Ms feel the same to me though.

Post June 8th, 2004, 1:04 pm
Founding Member
Founding Member

All B&Ms feel the same to me though.

Well I can safely say that pretty much anything you say from now on carries no merit, since you think all B&M's feel the same. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Thanks for the good laugh.

Post June 8th, 2004, 2:53 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

He has obviously never ridden nemesis and then gone and got on air straight away, the difference is phenominal (if i've spelled it right [lol])

Post June 8th, 2004, 2:55 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Most B&M's do in fact feel the exact same.
B&M uses the same spline model and almost the same track setup with the same elements. Basically the only thing that changes is the train. (floorless, inverted, flyer etc.)
You might say that the 0g rolls and flatspins on iverted rides are different, however they only appear so due to heartlining.
Generally inverted designs are more forceful than floorless or flyer, but this has to do with the layout, not the ride-setup.

Batman the ride clones are the exact same ride and feel the same. The only influencing factors are temperature of the track, wear on the wheel assemblies, where you sit on the train, and even the paint job.

For the most part it's not noticable though. The "feel" of a B&M is always the same.

Post June 8th, 2004, 3:12 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by FlyingV

Most B&M's do in fact feel the exact same.
B&M uses the same spline model and almost the same track setup with the same elements. Basically the only thing that changes is the train. (floorless, inverted, flyer etc.)
You might say that the 0g rolls and flatspins on iverted rides are different, however they only appear so due to heartlining.
Generally inverted designs are more forceful than floorless or flyer, but this has to do with the layout, not the ride-setup.

Batman the ride clones are the exact same ride and feel the same. The only influencing factors are temperature of the track, wear on the wheel assemblies, where you sit on the train, and even the paint job.

For the most part it's not noticable though. The "feel" of a B&M is always the same.

you couldn't be more wrong could you, I can see the point you are trying to make, but its wrong. All rides feel different. Anyway, if all B&M's feel the same, explain to me why you think........erm, woodies all feel different for example.

Post June 8th, 2004, 3:20 pm

Originally posted by Master_of_Puppets

Well I can safely say that pretty much anything you say from now on carries no merit, since you think all B&M's feel the same. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Thanks for the good laugh.

I don't see how thats funny at all, maybe your opinion is different, but IMO if you rode one B&M, you pretty much rode them all. There are few that I think would be a bit better than others though.

Post June 8th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't see how thats funny at all, maybe your opinion is different, but IMO if you rode one B&M, you pretty much rode them all. There are few that I think would be a bit better than others though.

Ignorant stupid comments make me laugh. Go figure.

"if you've ridden one, you've ridden them all"

Chalk up another point to ignorance.

I mean, using your logic, all rides are the same then. Because they all use loops, cork screws, inline twists and so on. So why bother even going to a park more than once? Riding one roller coaster is like riding them all. Because they all use a car on a track.

Or are you going to start spouting how Intamin or Vekoma or some other companies coasters all feel different? Because then you really are full of poop.

Post June 8th, 2004, 7:09 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I mean, using your logic, all rides are the same then. Because they all use loops, cork screws, inline twists and so on. So why bother even going to a park more than once? Riding one roller coaster is like riding them all. Because they all use a car on a track.

Or are you going to start spouting how Intamin or Vekoma or some other companies coasters all feel different? Because then you really are full of poop.

He's got a good, strong point there, IF, don't think your gonna make a good argument against that.

Post June 8th, 2004, 8:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

I wouldn't go as far as saying they ARE all the same.
LAYOUT and TRAINS are different and give you different experiences, however the "feeling" of the track style is always the same.
Intamin is pretty much the same too, however because Intamin uses tri-, quad- and dual-rails, some Intamin rides feel different (some "rattle").
Woodies don't feel the same because flexible structures and maintenance play a BIG role in ride experience.

I see IF's point though. If you've ridden Medusa East, Medusa West gives you pretty much the same thrill, not the exact same, but very close, although the layout is different. Even the Sea Serpent doesn't do much.
Intamin's or Arrow rides on the other hand have far more differnt elements and lay-outs.
However, most B&M's have unique characteristics too, you cant compare Aplpengeist and Top Gun for example.

I hope you know what I mean by "ride experience" though. It always "feels" like a B&M.

Post June 8th, 2004, 8:29 pm
Founding Member
Founding Member

yeah, they have the same "feel" but that doesn't mean "you've ridden one, you've ridden them all"

Post June 8th, 2004, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,111.00 Points
MOP, I dont want to sound like a jerk or anything, but you need to have an open mind to some other peoples ideas. Even if you dont agree, I do. No offense please, just doesnt seem very nice to me.

I count 14 B&Ms that I have ridden, and yes, they are each different rides, but they all do basically feel the same, save the hyper of course, being Apollos Chariot. They all have almost the same inverstions, in almost the same order, with exactly the same track feel, and honestly, intaminfan has the point here. No they arent all the same, but they are really dang close. I dont dislike them, but it does get old riding the almost same thing over and over again.

And please dont say that all woodies feel the same or something like that. They are all wood, and thats about the end of their similarities. They all are mostly hills, but each hill has such a different feeling then the others, are in a different order, and are different to begin with. Grizzly@pkd has about 10 hills, each one different from the other in quite a way. Phoenix@ knoebels has 2 hills that feel the same...on the WHOLE ride, and its got, what, 16 or 17 hills? Yes, the 2 supermans feel the same, but they are mirror images, and the other superman is very differen(sfne), and millinnium force is different from them all(though I dont like it AS much). Arrow megaloopers as much as they use the same elements, they spice up the order, and throw curves and airtime in tehre.

Well sorry if I sounded like a jerk, but your opinion isnt the only one on this planet.

Post June 8th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Chill man...jeez.

B&Ms feel all the same because the layouts are all very similiar, and some almost identical. They mostly all use the same order of elements too, so when riding one B&M looper and then comparing it to another, theres not much at all to compare.

Intamins, Arrows, and probably every single woodie all give different rides (unless they're clones). MF gives a fast ride but little force or airtime, SROS @ SFDL and SFA both have long drawn out helices and one great -g place. SROS @ SFNE gives loads of ejector air and has a lot of force...etc. B&Ms just aren't like this.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions