Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Wish me luck

Wish me luck

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 4th, 2003, 7:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,810.00 Points

Hey all,

I think it's time for me to head to bed for the night (what's that? Steve? Bed? BEFORE midnight?), but with good reason.

Tomorrow I'm heading off to do some more exams towards my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer).

I've got two more exams to do to get the full qualification, and if I pass one in the morning (Active Directory Design) I'll most likely take the other in the afternoon (Network Infrastructure Design) - so, wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!

Post June 4th, 2003, 9:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Post June 4th, 2003, 11:33 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I wish you good luck, I've heard those exams are extremely hard yet if you pass you can get a real nice paying job. I wish you pass it [:)]

Post June 5th, 2003, 4:56 am

Thanks all - off I go...

I'll let y'all know in about 9 hours ;)

Post June 5th, 2003, 11:19 am

Post June 5th, 2003, 12:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points

Post June 5th, 2003, 6:49 pm

Not getting a new job, I've just got a new qualification ;)

I'm an IT Contractor in the North West of England.

Basically, if you can charge someone to do it, and it involves computers, we do it ;)

Post June 5th, 2003, 10:35 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post June 6th, 2003, 8:30 am

Hey! It's not because of me, it's because of MS :P

Like I said elsewhere though, what's the average throughput on the site? Could you not host it off a DSL Line?

That'd save you a fortune in hosting costs ;)

Post June 6th, 2003, 11:30 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

my DSL line has an upload rate of 128kbps, really sucks so it would be like downloading a file at 12kb/sec, and I don't have MS SQL on my computer, and don't have $20,000 to dish out for the software and license and my DSL provider is flaky, site would be down a lot. It uses a lot of gigs of bandwidth a mionth, more than double than my host provides , every gig I go over it's an extra $5 each and well that gets expensive. I'm looking towards a friend who is/has getting his own server, but he's missing a com or two I need for this site without having to recode the entire thing ya know.
WWS

Post June 7th, 2003, 8:25 pm

Ahhhhh, I'd say MS SQL is the biggie there - client access licenses for that are astronomical, as well as the software itself initially :(

Well, if you want it rewritten in PHP so you can stick it on a *nix box, then I'm your man :P

Post June 7th, 2003, 8:42 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

na, I'm sticking in asp as I can do some changes of the code myself, I know absolutely nothing in php and I know a bit of asp and that bit has helped me get rid of certain errors that otherwise I'd have to find someone who knows the lingo to fix [:p]

Post June 8th, 2003, 12:21 pm

PHP is a beautiful language - you really should try and learn it sometime.

If you need FTP access to a box to play around with it, just ask :)

Of course, you could just run a web-server on your own machine and install the ISAPI filter (for IIS), or stick on apache with the DSO :)

Like I say, if you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll help you get started - IM details are in my profile ;)

Post June 8th, 2003, 1:11 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

I could run php on the server I am on now so no need for a UNIX/LINUx system. I actually have a couple of freebie php scripts loaded onto another windows 2000 platform site and they run good and are useful. But if I need something or somethin, then I know who to call [;)] Thanks for the offer. [:D]
WWS

Post June 8th, 2003, 3:24 pm

Well I thought one of your major gripes was the cost of the site?

A *nix box, especially using a mySQL database instead of mSQL, would be significantly cheaper ;)

I've never tried to get ASP working with mySQL - want me to look into it? As long as your code is OOP things should be easy enough to change over ;)

Post June 8th, 2003, 3:43 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

nah that's ok, the code is specifically written for mssql. and use several coms and the image com I used for changing images from any format except gif to jpg is in asp. so php is out of the question, uhmmmm what else. Well basically I am not looking into changing any of the coding of the site or changnig db formats. I know my way around sql enterprise manager, dts and all that crap [lol] the cost of running it is not based on the platform nor database technology, the expensive part is the bandwidth, bandwdith is the culprit not the coding or db technology being used on this site.

Post June 9th, 2003, 9:28 am

Fairy muff then - can't say I didn't try :P

Shame I've got no ingenious ideas for the bandwidth issue, eh? :(

Of course, if most of the content on the site was cache locally for each user, then your bandwidth would be reduced - who wants to support WWS and buy a linux router/proxy server from me? lmao

Return to Off Topic Discussion