Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Woodies or Steelies?

Woodies or Steelies?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Woodies or Steelies?

Woodies
52%
Steelies
48%

Total votes : 23

Post August 28th, 2003, 5:36 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

What do you like better, woodies or steelies?

I personally prefer woodies, more intense ride, doesn't make you feel controlled, more of a wild ride, and better lats and airtime.

Post August 28th, 2003, 8:11 am

Points on hand: 3,188.00 Points
i diasgree woods are more fun the ruff sea like movement is great but steel can do more p.s. never been on coaster with inversion so dont no

Post August 28th, 2003, 8:17 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

woodies rule! Especially CCI's. however, intamin hypers come close. I LOVE AIRTIME!!!!

Post August 28th, 2003, 9:10 am

Points on hand: 2,567.00 Points

i'm agree with goliath, i like speed on coasters, Especially air-time.[:P]

Post August 28th, 2003, 10:43 am

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points
i like speed and on woodies you just dont get the huge hills and airtime.

Post August 28th, 2003, 2:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,126.00 Points

Woods all the way!!!! I love the airtime and the rattling of the train.[:p]

>---rcf2000, RCT Guy

Post August 28th, 2003, 2:44 pm

Originally posted by lpth5

i like speed and on woodies you just dont get the huge hills and airtime.

some woodies have huge hills and woodies have better airtime than steelies [:P]

Post August 28th, 2003, 6:23 pm

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

Its all about the steel! Me no like roughness, me likes smoothness, a mix of negative and positive g's, speed and height, INVERSIONS[approve]

Post August 29th, 2003, 12:38 am

Points on hand: 2,968.00 Points
I like woodies best. It just seems like a much more organic ride, what with all the wooden structure and the loud racket, etc. Heck, woodies even SMELL different [^]! I like the rough ride too, bumps and jerks and all.

Post August 29th, 2003, 4:55 am

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
i voted for steel, they are nice and smooth and can be built with a more complex design like inversions. although i do like the air time on woodies but its the lateral g-force that i dont like, like for example, yesterday (thursday august 28th) i went to oakwood for the first time and i went on megaphobia and lateral g-force was not very nice at all, although the nice air time out weighed that. i personaly dont see what is so special about it for it to be one of the best in the world. grand national at blackpool pleasure beach and stampede at port adventura is a fair bit better.

Post August 29th, 2003, 6:20 am

Points on hand: 4,126.00 Points

Origially posted by Andrew

i voted for steel, they are nice and smooth and can be built with a more complex design like inversions.

Son of Beast is now going upside and maybe the start of woodie doing inversions.

>---rcf2000, RCT Guy[pshades]

Post August 29th, 2003, 6:41 am

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

Woodies, they are a more uncontrolled environment (so it feels like it). Now as for steel The huge intamin types are awesome and quite the rush so they run a close race to the woodies. Just the rush of all that wood shaking, the cart jerking, airtime add up to so many things That make them a blast

Post August 29th, 2003, 6:55 am

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
yes but wooden rollercoasters wont have inversions like, cobra rolls, batwings, etc. unless the trains have over-the-shoulder restraints on them and the wooden structure is made much stronger in order to cope with the stress of the train travelling through inversions.

Post August 29th, 2003, 7:25 am

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

I agree Andrew but woodies tend to have the rush of there own w/o the inversions. Imo when you add the over the shoulder restraints to a woodie it takes away the trills of it. But there are quite a few steelies w/ loops w/ the over-the-shoulder restraints (shuttle loops, Schwarzkopf loopers)

Post August 29th, 2003, 3:28 pm

Originally posted by Andrew

yes but wooden rollercoasters wont have inversions like, cobra rolls, batwings, etc. unless the trains have over-the-shoulder restraints on them and the wooden structure is made much stronger in order to cope with the stress of the train travelling through inversions.

Woodies don't need inversions to make them good, in fact, inversions aren't even as fun or thrilling as any element on a woodie.

Post August 29th, 2003, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,039.00 Points
I don't know I think it is really really close but I've chosen for the woodies. Like you said IF, they feel really wild when riding. Steel rides also are very nice, anyway i had to make a choice. I think I like steel just as much as I like wood.

Post January 28th, 2004, 3:39 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

i think woodies are better cause there more classic and rough

Post January 28th, 2004, 4:24 pm

Points on hand: 4,847.00 Points
I like steels, but i Love woodies. Woods seem much more out of control and have a nice wood smell to them.

Post January 28th, 2004, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
i cant pick one or the other, i like hyper coaster's but i also like some woodies. Impossibule for me to answer

Post January 28th, 2004, 10:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,869.00 Points

I like them both just the same, Heck, I like all coasters. I have no favorite types, being a coaster fanatic and all. I love em all.

Post January 28th, 2004, 11:11 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Originally posted by masterchief101

I love em all.

Ditto. It's an impossible question to answer because I've ridden so many good ones of both types. I do agree with IF397 about the cool out of control feeling that you get on wooden coasters, but the thing is that there are a few steelies out there that provide the same thing. Have you guys ever ridden a S.D.C. Hurricane? It sort of looks like a kiddy carnival coaster, but it's one of the most intense coaster rides I've ever experienced.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions