Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Would you ride this?

Would you ride this?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 14th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

It's not so much as questioning him, we're only giving him feedback about our thoughts on the design. He came to us to see if we had interest in the project, which, no-doubt we do.

Post September 14th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,188.00 Points
The feedback is not what I am taking issue with, it is the assumption that the idea is half-baked or poorly thought through that irks me. I have no problem answering questions about the ride, but when accusations that I'm not thinking about what I'm doing start flying before anyone even bothers to ask a direct question, I feel justified in taking a bit of a hard stance to defend my credibility.

If there are questions and concerns, ask them - don't just assume that I don't have a solution because I didn't present it in my stage-1 marketing material.

Post September 14th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Well being the designer yourself, you are going to get accused of things like that. I mean, who would have imagined a suspended wooden coaster coming to life. You are going to get accused, and questioned a lot in the future as your rides are developed. Just back yourself up, and move on.

Post September 14th, 2008, 3:11 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I don't see why you ask coaster fans about the design.
We are not a large crowd and certainly parks don't on us.

About the actual design. I'm worried about the extra costs, because if you would build the layout you posted as a regualr wooden coaster, the costs would be much less.
Also, when riding this coaster, the experience might be cool, but it would be cheaper if you build a floorless woodie.

Overall, I'm up for any innovation in the amusement world and I sure hope that you can manage to sell it to a park.

Post September 14th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
it may be cheaper, but since when was ride manufacture and design cheap, i mean kingda Ka took about 20million(?) and that was experimenting, and some people love it, some don't. same with millenium force. i'll bet that when people first used inverteds everybody thought it was crazy, but look at nemisis and alpengeist! just let it catch on, don't suck the credibility out of it just because it hasn't been done before. To me, no matter how much it coasts, it is still a good idea, just give it some time to develop and find some ways to reduce the cost and we'll all be flying through the (desicrated) trees in no time!

Post September 14th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,188.00 Points
Lewis, I am accustomed to having to defend my designs, I just hoped that this thread would be more questioning and less accusing.

I'm asking coaster fans about the design because we are the "first responders", so to speak. Coaster enthusiasts help generate buzz for a new product. I have two more approaches to my marketing research which I can't discuss right now, but they will help me cover all of my bases.

When it comes down to the cost of the inverted wooden, yes it is more expensive than a regular wooden coaster. But in all likelihood it won't be all that much more expensive to the point that the benefits of the design outweigh the price increase.

I'm hoping that an inverted wooden coaster can be sold and built in the near future, but it has to get through the marketing stage first. Which is why I'm asking if people are interested in riding the finished product.

Post September 14th, 2008, 3:37 pm

well i certainly am, as long as you build it in england

Post September 14th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Yeah, I would totally ride this if I was in the area of it.

Post September 14th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Originally posted by hyyyper

I gave this some more thought and to illustrate the impossibleness of this design. Image how the supports would look like on an inverted dive machine..

...they would look like this?

http://rcdb.com/ig750.htm?picture=24

Post September 15th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by jonbkchill

Lewis, I am accustomed to having to defend my designs, I just hoped that this thread would be more questioning and less accusing.
Best advice Jon (especially among these sitesas you are more than aware) is this: Consider the source of the criticism my friend ... most of the time it is certainly not worth the air to defend it when it is coming from folks who have ZERO experience in any type of industry business (except standing in line and doing what they are told in the queue). When it comes to this type of criticism, is it worth defending? Does not everyone have an opinion (valid or not)?

Sadly, I knew this would happen hence why I was even weary of posting ...

Post September 15th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I am consumer man. Me wanna ride you crazy rolly coasty. Build now. Me pay theme park to come and ride big rolly coasty. You get publicity. You build more rolly coastys. Then me ride more you rolly coastys. You win lots money. Me win lots adrenalin. Everybody wins. Hooray!

that is my view, i am happy to ride as long as you can pove it's safe.

Post September 15th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Points on hand: 65.00 Points

Post September 15th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
This looks to have a lot of potential for a thrilling ride. I mean, how often would you get a chance to ride a coaster that has constant footchoppers?

And I believe that with some more work around the concept, he can produce a great looking 3D model. You guys have to remember that this is still in the concept stage. He has lots of room for improvement, and we can help him improve.

Post September 15th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Originally posted by tmv8888

The guy has some nice ideas, but the warring coaster would be ridiculously expensive, and the wooden coaster would be extremly difficult to support. Before he releases an idea, he really needs to consider "everything". From worst case scenarios, to simple weather problems, and to me, it just doesn't seem like he's spending enough time considering these and other issues.

Mike, if you saw some of the stuff that jon does over at C2K, you'd notice he's very qualified for this kind of thinking. I have doubts about the design, but don't question him so much. He's probably gone over thinking with this 10x more in depth than you and Jensen did.

I actually think you'd be rather surprised as too how much thinking went into the design. Thinking is still occurring, but, being only 18 years of age, and the ridiculous unlikelihood of an 18 yr old's design becoming reality, you might guess why I just gave up on the design.

Post September 15th, 2008, 3:25 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by SFMM homie

Originally posted by hyyyper

I gave this some more thought and to illustrate the impossibleness of this design. Image how the supports would look like on an inverted dive machine..

...they would look like this?

http://rcdb.com/ig750.htm?picture=24

and we all know how that turned out [lol]

As for the Inverted Woodie. If you say you got everything worked out and your bases covered and you know you have the ability to make it real or work. I suggest you do so.
If a parks wants something innovative, an inverted woodie would be a good choise. Guests will ride anything that's in a park and that looks like a ride. If you get it pulled off, I'm sure it'll get the ball rolling.

Post September 15th, 2008, 3:49 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I think the question is uhmm dumb. No offense to anyone. Of course anything new and innovative people will stand in line to ride it. People stand in line for stupid stuff like Deja Vu, why wouldn't they stand in line to ride a new roller coaster? I'll keep my thoughts of this concept/idea to myself as there is enough criticism going around already.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 17th, 2008, 1:34 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I think it could make a pretty neato wild mouse type ride. The effect of the beams around you would be cool.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 17th, 2008, 1:40 am

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

I remember looking at these designs a while back when he showed up again after a long absence. First of all, I think it is awesome that you are going for your dream and are taking some pretty cool steps into trying to make a name for yourself.
As for the design, I think it could be fun in small portions (family coaster). I dont think its really possible to get anything too intense comparable to woodies now of days, but it would be a fun little 50 foot tall ride.

Post September 17th, 2008, 1:42 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post September 17th, 2008, 5:35 pm

you're all crazy. i dunno why. you just are.

the inverted wooden wild mouse sounds good, but i think that with enough thinking over his could be a pretty large woodie, much like a gravity group woodie. but it just needs development imo.

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion