Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Xcelerator Brakes

Xcelerator Brakes

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post December 20th, 2013, 1:09 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
So I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, never got around to doing it though.

So I came back from Cali about a month ago and I gotta say, you guys got some great parks out there. My favorite rides out of Knotts and Magic Mountain would have to be Xcelerator, Tatsu, and Superman.
Anyways back to the question,
So what is the deal with Xcelerator's brakes?
Those things were so painful and hard compared to TTD or KK or even Storm Runner.
Was it because Xcelerator was the first accelerator coaster?
I know it wasn't the first magnetic brake Intamin coaster, MF was first.
So what could it be?

Thanks!

Post December 20th, 2013, 1:20 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
There were Intamin rides with magnetic brakes of some form (including just like those on MF) years before Millennium Force opened.

Post December 20th, 2013, 1:43 am

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
It has to do with the way the blocking works, basically there needed to be two potential block sections on the brake run there but there wasn't very much space so the primary brakes had to be able to act as a block brake and be able to stop the train completely. Since the brakes are so short and require a full stop they had to be stronger than the other rides. Also consider that with a lap bar they seem stronger than on say Stormrunner (which has very strong brakes as well).
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post December 20th, 2013, 2:02 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
They're strong because not dying is cool
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 20th, 2013, 11:22 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by dcs221

There were Intamin rides with magnetic brakes of some form (including just like those on MF) years before Millennium Force opened.

Ok didn't know that, thought MF was first

And Bottom_Feeder_13, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Post December 21st, 2013, 12:40 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

I found the launch to be painful, and the stop to be really painful. I walked away with a headache.

Those mags really dig in and rip the heart and soul out of the train each cycle. Hate to see what happens when the block in front is active as well. Perhaps one day they will add another loop into it so it can spill some speed before running into that brick wall.

Post December 21st, 2013, 4:15 am

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
Originally posted by Mikey

I found the launch to be painful, and the stop to be really painful. I walked away with a headache.

Those mags really dig in and rip the heart and soul out of the train each cycle. Hate to see what happens when the block in front is active as well. Perhaps one day they will add another loop into it so it can spill some speed before running into that brick wall.

You sound like a complaining p***y honestly.

Post December 21st, 2013, 12:16 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Mikey

IMO, the launch was awesome.
Having rode TTD over 220 times, the faster acceleration was amazing on Xcelerator despite the slower speed.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions