Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Yay, my computer won't start...

Yay, my computer won't start...

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 20th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,764.00 Points
I don't know why, My computer was having trouble starting today. Probably a corrupted file in the boot sector.

Thankfully, that's what dual hard drives with Norton Ghost is for. [:)]

Well, to make this a discussion, anyone else have points in their life when they had bad (as in BSOD bad) computer trouble? I remember one:

My previous machine had a motherboard bite the dust. After replacing it and ensuring compatability, it just refused to be a team player, and my machine was BSODing every half-hour, every time with another random error code. There was no solution except to buy a new computer.[xx(]
Last edited by Thomas Kaira on July 20th, 2009, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 20th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
oh so that was just meant to be a proclomation of computer knowledge etc?
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post July 20th, 2009, 5:03 pm

No, it's a statement that fail-safes are always worth the trouble, particularly with computers, and the topic has had a question posed to it.

Post July 20th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

My graphics card blew like 3 capacitors a few weeks ago....That kinda sucked. Lifetime warranty though.

Post July 20th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points
^ Thats why you have to check your computers power supply and see if it can handle the video card.

And Thomas, do you know for sure its a boot sector?

Post July 21st, 2009, 12:49 am

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure. All I know is that it was a file Windows needed to successfully start that seemed to be corrupted because a normal start auot-reset my computer and a safe mode start caused it to crash. Essential files that Windows needs to start successfully is what I define as a "Boot Sector." Probably not THE boot sector, I just used the word for lack of a better term.

It might have had something to do with my Computer being forced off due to being power-starved, since a thunderstorm surged my house on Saturday.

Post July 21st, 2009, 12:58 am

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Has nothing to do with that or the performance/quality of the card jms. All consumer electronics companies use cheap caps, especially if they aren't needing to handle very high current. I actually found out that a bunch of people with the same card had the same issue so they probably had a bad batch of capacitors when they made them.

You aren't likely to find any "good" capacitors on any consumer level products. They are out there, but mostly on stuff like high end audio equipment. When it comes down to it, as a manufacture, would you rather spend $5-7 on a each capacitor, or pennies for ones that have the same values?

I bet there are even people that upgrade them themselves. I know a lot of audio people do.

Return to Off Topic Discussion