Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Yet another accident...

Yet another accident...

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 2nd, 2004, 12:06 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Before I begin, what's with these Intamin rides?

now to begin with another accident...http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/topst ... 315200.xml

Some older guy died on S:ROS in SFNE. He fell out of the train about half way thru the course.
Last edited by Angry_Gumball on May 2nd, 2004, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrills by the Bay - Your #1 News Source for Bay Area Parks!
http://thrillsbythebay.blogspot.com

Post May 2nd, 2004, 10:25 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,224.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Theres been quite a lot of accidents just lately, I have to say though, it just makes me want to go to a theme park a bit more to be honest.

Post May 2nd, 2004, 2:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,512.00 Points
Thats a shame, 'Six Flags' has been getting alot of accidents lately.

Post May 2nd, 2004, 4:42 pm

Points on hand: 675.00 Points

Ok... i was at the park last ngith and was in the superman area when it happened... i was on teh PITT coaster when the train the man was rideing went by. also i was on the ride about an hour before it happened and the line was about 2 hours long so.. i would have been in line the same time as the man. and i was rideing in car 8.. most NEWS shows are sayign he was in car 7-9. after it al happened people outside teh ride were all liek yelling and screaming and people were crying and saying this lie "HE FELL OUT HE F E L L OUIT!!!: and "Why Didnt THEY StopTHE RIDE!!" and peopel were saying "CALL 911!" to make it sound worst... over 200 people would have seen him die because SROS goes all around teh que line and when it goes around everyoone in line watchs and they would have seen him fall off... well after this all happend i just wanted to go home. i didnt want to be in the park... on the way up at ANY! fence point that you can see the ride from people were staind and just looking and yes you could see people on teh ground next to where it happed with teh med crew and stuff :-\
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... Picture=12
that photo shows how the line is next to the ride and if you look at teh bottom of teh pic you can see the "ramp" that teh ride goes over 2 times and under once and also one of teh helixs are ride next to a fence.. all the fences had people just looking....

EDIT!! ALSO he DID NOT FALL OUT MIDRIDE!!! he fell out at teh VERY end when teh ride does its low ground hugging turn when it goes into the blocks then teh station he fell out going down the last hill when the track turned.. thats what tossed him out
www.CanobieFan.com
Coaster Count = 600+

Post May 2nd, 2004, 6:19 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

hmmm, very enlightening, I think you did a better job with the details, then wat the news article did. Wat a sad, sad event, I hope Intamin fixes whatever is killing all thes people, notice how everybody who has died on an Intamin coaster has been flung out. It makes me wonder.

Post May 2nd, 2004, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
supposedly the guy had paulsey so i'm thinking it was the ride operator's fault for letting him on the ride. i dont think it was intamin's fault. also, i heard that it was NOT a mechanical malfunction. i hate to say it, but these rides are designed for the "general public" not for disabled people. if you can't fit in the restraints the right way, then don't ride!

Post May 3rd, 2004, 10:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

It wasn't that he couldn't fit in the ride, it's that he had brain problems! Even though if you can't fit in the ride, it would be a good idea not to ride it.

Post May 3rd, 2004, 10:46 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by 38801xlr8

It wasn't that he couldn't fit in the ride, it's that he had brain problems! Even though if you can't fit in the ride, it would be a good idea not to ride it.

Exactly, Therefore all the blame either lies on Six Flags for being cheap and not checking there rides, or Intamin for building crappy restraints. Good rides are no good if they aren't safe.

Post May 4th, 2004, 4:23 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
they need to check all rides now very good, or else will more accidents happen[xx(]Insert
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 4th, 2004, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,136.00 Points
intamin rides must be cursed or something...... next victim is gona be top thrill dragster..... these accident articles have been driving me kinda crazy lately!

Post May 4th, 2004, 9:45 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Found out what happen, the guys disease causes him to constantly squirm, so basically he wiggled himself outa the ride. I hate those ride ops though, they felt sorry for him and they encouraged him to go on the ride, and because of them, now he's dead, it's just so, so sad[:(]. Or at least that's what I heard, but the first sentence is most defenately true.

Post May 4th, 2004, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,847.00 Points
Originally posted by thecool326

Found out what happen, the guys disease causes him to constantly squirm, so basically he wiggled himself outa the ride.

Even if that is true, roller coasters should be designed so that doesn't happen. So if that is the case, it is somewhat Intamin's fault too for having poor restraints.

Post May 4th, 2004, 11:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

I know somebody who has the same brain problem. I would not recommend him to go on the ride. I don't want to be rude, but he is a little messed up. (cripple, kinda messed up mind)

Post May 5th, 2004, 9:27 pm

actually, i heard that he wanted to go on the ride, and according 2 mass state law, if they can get in the ride by themselves, then they have 2 b allowed to ride, even though he had all sorts of problems. either way, i dont think it's intamin's fault. also, he was around 250 lbs so he prob couldnt fit in the restraints right anyway. not good

Post May 5th, 2004, 9:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,673.00 Points

Well, whether he was ok mentally or not, or if he could not sit still or not to me has no bearing.
As far as Intamin, as a maker of coasters, is concerned should only be blamed if in fact part of their design has a flaw in it. If the flaw was not in the coaster itself then there are only 2 to blame, the park and the laws. Don't get me wrong I do not want tighter and stricter laws that take away from those of normal health, height, weight and age but coasters can not be designed with every single circumstance in mind. My God they would never come out with any new styles for us to enjoy if they took in every single possible thing that might happen. I know some are built with special seats for larger or smaller occupants like our Top Gun but I have never seen one that has a seating system for mentally handicapped individuals.
To put this in my thought of mind is like buying a new car. Sure, you have your warranty against defects and, recalls to take care of design flaws but, if you are doing something the car was not designed for and crashed, then who is to blame? You, the owner, this being the park as they bought the coaster.
I hope something is done rather quickly. If Intamin does have a design flaw I hope all their coasters of this design are closed until a fix is available.
If the fault goes towards the park then I hope those involved are replaced with more safety minded employees.
Sooner or later, if this keeps up, we are going to be riding coasters in a foam shell with little peep holes to see and breath from or the growth will slow down to a crawl because parks won't want them anymore and will settle for smaller safer rides.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Family but some one has got to know when to say No! I would rather be sued for not letting him ride then have what happened regardless of whether it was a design flaw or not.
We are having a constant problem at our park with Parents trying to get their kids on the big coasters. They have them try to stand as tall as they can but our ops catch them and refuse to let them ride. Safety for all must be first regardless of who is at fault. And, common sense is always better then book smarts.
Just an Old Man still hanging around.

Post May 5th, 2004, 11:38 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

well, I think you wrapped this topic up very nicely.

Post May 5th, 2004, 11:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

It's about time somebody said this, I agree. Something must be done within reasonability to eliminate the problem, and safety should always be first priority, or else there won't be rollercoasters anymore in a little.

Post May 6th, 2004, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 675.00 Points

new stuff is saying he had the belt on but is lapbar was 50% up
also when he was falling out.. NOT just where he fell but other parts to people were holding onto him.. so he and the other people on the ride KNEW he was comeing out of teh seat way to much and that he migth fall.. and then it happened.... i feel sick everytime this is on TV or news.. i just keep thinking about the train going over hill 9 and this mans life ending. i saw the train he was on going over hills 3 and 4... and i saw where it happened right after it happend... a man on the gorund people yelling and crying... and i just keep thinking about ti NON STOP all week. i dont even like the ride that much.. but i cant stop thinking about it.... :(
www.CanobieFan.com
Coaster Count = 600+

Post May 7th, 2004, 4:54 am

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=1VGlMtn6

http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?se ... =Six+Flags <--several articles

just some FYI but it seems that the T-bars are in question as is the ops at Six Flags.

Post May 7th, 2004, 5:41 pm

Below is a release that is pretty interesting.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio ... leid=21996

Lap bars seem to be going away, at least in that state, and the operator did not do his job.

Post May 7th, 2004, 10:19 pm

so superman is getting new and improoved restraints?? WOO HOO! nut crunchers hurt!! [:)]

Post May 7th, 2004, 10:29 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

LOL, that is sad i hope the family gets some cash, but i feel sorry

Return to General Theme Park Discussions