Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 29th, 2011, 9:28 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,514.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by alton_

FOR 2013 - SW7

I think we will see the removal of the Flume and the introduction of a B&M Launch coaster in the flumes current location.
Lance at Screamscape has several rumours which point to this conclusion.
Check out this article about a teaser poster found indicating the possible removal of the flume: http://www.ukparknews.co.uk/entry/cms/?p=6097

A person also spotted height check balloons this year around the flume area:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=27641

So I definitely reckon the flume is being removed next year - it is 30 years old now and has seen better days.

As for the rumour that it is a B&M launch coaster for 2013, these are just screamscape sources, view them here:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm
Scroll down to the SW7 section.

Quoted from alton_ in the 2012 Alton Towers flat ride thread. Shameless selfbump [lol]

Post October 29th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Post January 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post January 5th, 2012, 1:12 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,063.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Beast :O

Looks like a launched start and an classic eurofighter lift in the middle...
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post January 5th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

DAT LAYOUT. The Interlocking cobra roll and batwing/horseshoe roll is simply glorious.

Post January 5th, 2012, 2:34 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by mkingy

Beast :O

Looks like a launched start and an classic eurofighter lift in the middle...

I think, based on the images below, it may actually be 2 lifts, rather than a launch and a lift.

Looks like there's a fairly normal lift, then a slight drop/turn into a air hill pop into the main drop. Seems like a pretty awesome start!

Post January 5th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Oh my goodness. That is a beautiful layout. I really couldn't think of a more beautiful element than the interlocking cobra roll and batwing, and cant actually understand why it hasnt been done before =/ Seriously beautiful.

And am i right in counting 8 inversions? A pretzel roll, followed by a batwing, followed by a roll over, followed by a cobra roll?! Basically all the double inversion elements followed one after another?

I really hope they get planning for this ride, its a seriously stunning layout. One thing though, it doesnt look like Gestlauer to me at all though. It looks more like Maurer Sohne track, although im literally hoping its B&M producing this. Although i can't imagine this layout coming from them to be honest =/ My money goes on Maurer Sohne, the vertical lift looks very Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit! So does the supporting structure over the toilet buildings around the entrance to X sector.

EDIT: And yeah you're right Gouldy, no launches, just two lifts, one normal, one vertical with turn arounds into both main drops, which should hopefully provide a bit of speed over the peaks meaning a pop of airtime.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry, i just read the noise report and it IS made by Gestlauer. Heres the quote from the noise report:

"Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, ?????????Saw????????? is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a ?????????beyond vertical????????? drop. Third octave band measurements were conducted on 2 November 2011 using a calibrated Norsonics type 118 sound level meter, tripod mounted at a height of 1.2 m above ground level. "

Post January 5th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

its just stunning it really is. for 5 years i have been gunning for alton to get a eurofighter and now it looks like it could possiably happen, and not just any eurofighter shurely with that layout it could easily become the best one in europe.
get merlin studios to do some themeing thats as stunning as the swarm's is and i think were on to a real challenger for the nemesis title of my favorite coaster of all time
Making screams come true

Post January 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Yeah, hopefully the theming on it is as good as the layout. I wonder what that giant piece of themeing in the middle is then. I guess it'll be some building that the ride dives through, with maybe some effects as you go through?

Also ive just realised that isnt a pretzel loop at the beginning is it? Its two dive loops consecutively. Its very strange to see Alton getting a Eurofighter and not having the 97 degree drop - i guess being so close to Oblivion though it would pretty much kill Oblivions one major attribute.

Post January 5th, 2012, 3:49 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I like how it's close to Oblivion, for the sake of just annoying the Ropers [lol]

Post January 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm

^ Me too. Im also going to love the new view from Oblivion seeing that twisted mess of track right across from you is gonna be amazing!

Post January 5th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

Post January 5th, 2012, 4:49 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

When you look at it from this view, jpe, it looks as if it REALLY will be a twisted mess.

So glad to see something genuinely exciting being built at AT, it's been a bloody long time since anything genuinely thrilling was put in.

If this truly is a Gerstlauer, will the trains by something like the Anubis and Lynet trains? I'm assuming so, looking at the type of track in the drawings. Mind you, doesn't look like Gerstlauer track in the drawings?

Post January 5th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 636.00 Points
New X-Train possibly?
Friendship is like peeing. Everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings.

Post January 5th, 2012, 6:22 pm
mkingy User avatar

X-Car might have be a good shout if it wasn't for the noise testing on SAW. That interlocking cobra roll just looks insanely awesome from the back. My only criticism is that i love seeing multicar trains fly through that sort of thing (ala premier). Single/double car just doesn't look as cool.
Coaster Count - 198

Post January 5th, 2012, 6:37 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, a 6 or 7 car train would look absolutely amazing running through there.

Post January 5th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Wow, this looks beautiful. I'm totally looking forward to this ride! I know where my destination will be next time I'm in England....

Post January 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Just looking through the planning application, and everything is all the same colour, and guess what... it's grey! All grey, all the same colour... grey. [lol]

It's weird, actually, it's RAL7021 Black Grey, which is the colour I use on all of the guarding structures I design at work.

Here's a RAL colour chart so you can see RAL7021.

http://www.glassworkswm.co.uk/i/RAL-Col ... rt-Web.jpg

Edit:

The longer you look at the images, the more awesome you realise this is going to be. There's so many different moments of terrain interaction, of different types. On top of all of the track/supports/theming interaction. So many differengt trenches and bits cut into the hillside. There's a bit where a large pathway winds down the hill into the main plaza area, and there will be an airhill flying right over that bit of winding path. Then look at the main entrance to the "plaza" area. How that interlocked cobra roll elements thing winds all around it and underneath it... crazy.

Post January 5th, 2012, 8:49 pm
mkingy User avatar

I can't actually believe that its been submitted. It's like what collosus at Thorpe should have been. And just generally not something I expected from a UK park!
Coaster Count - 198

Post January 5th, 2012, 11:34 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Originally posted by jpecool

"And am i right in counting 8 inversions?"

you can see that the track has 8 visible inversions. BUT, if the ride is anything like SAW as they said, there could possibly be some pre-lift track with 1 or 2 inversions that we are unable to see in the pictures. so 8 guaranteed, possibly more...
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post January 6th, 2012, 1:24 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Am I the only one who looked at their planning permission for sub-terra and thought "ANOTHER HORROR MAZE! YAY... wait... ANOTHER horror Maze. Another. Horror. Maze. Yay, I guess..."
Kinda getting bored of Horror mazes. I feel used as a customer.

Anyway, holy crap, this is beautiful, But, I get the feeling that the launch isn't horizontal, I think it's entirely possible that the launch is more like Maverick's. It's unlikely, but it made me feel things deep within my loinsssss...
Still, the question is; What makes this a world's first? I don't see anything particularly record-breaking or brand-new here, so now I'm more curious than ever...
I will miss the flume. BAHAHAHHA I lie, maybe they'll get rid of that stupid theming in the haunted hollow.

Finally: Gouldy. Th13teen is good. not fantastic, agreed, but it is good.
Although yes, corkscrew was better. there needs to be a new corkscrew...
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post January 6th, 2012, 2:59 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Adrenaguy

Am I the only one who looked at their planning permission for sub-terra and thought "ANOTHER HORROR MAZE! YAY... wait... ANOTHER horror Maze. Another. Horror. Maze. Yay, I guess..."
Kinda getting bored of Horror mazes. I feel used as a customer.

Anyway, holy crap, this is beautiful, But, I get the feeling that the launch isn't horizontal, I think it's entirely possible that the launch is more like Maverick's. It's unlikely, but it made me feel things deep within my loinsssss...
Still, the question is; What makes this a world's first? I don't see anything particularly record-breaking or brand-new here, so now I'm more curious than ever...
I will miss the flume. BAHAHAHHA I lie, maybe they'll get rid of that stupid theming in the haunted hollow.

Finally: Gouldy. Th13teen is good. not fantastic, agreed, but it is good.
Although yes, corkscrew was better. there needs to be a new corkscrew...

I thought Sub-Terra was an underground drop tower?

Yes, this does look amazing, although I'm not sure, either, what makes it a world first. Unless there's a new type of train? Or... unless they think that a Gerstlauer with 2 lifts is worthy of being called a world first?

This is being built right by Oblivion, now, instead of where the Flume currently is. But given what AT said previously, I imagine they are still removing The Flume.

Finally; Th13teen is a terrible piece of poop, and deep down, you know it.

Post January 6th, 2012, 3:05 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Omg damn, quite a knotty ride.

^How many inversions are there? Do we know yet? I don't think there's quite 11 but there looks to be a lot, lol.

Post January 6th, 2012, 10:14 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
well I don't know if there is a ride that has broken the 10-looper record yet (citation plz) But if it DOES have 11 inversion, then that does make it a world first. it beats collosus if it does, and its little 8-looper cousin in china. Is there any confirmation on car-type whatsoever?
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post January 6th, 2012, 10:40 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Adrenaguy

well I don't know if there is a ride that has broken the 10-looper record yet (citation plz) But if it DOES have 11 inversion, then that does make it a world first. it beats collosus if it does, and its little 8-looper cousin in china. Is there any confirmation on car-type whatsoever?

There are at least 8 inversions that we can see. So it would have to do 3 more inversions in the prelift bit in the building. Not sure there's quite enough room for that, but we'll see.

I absolutely love your sig, by the way, Bowie. [lol]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!